XVI. Reverie

It was an awkward silence as neither of the two boys were speaking. Kris glued his eyes on the road ahead while Gun just stared out the window thinking about nothing and everything at the same time.

It was past eleven in the evening when the boys finally arrived at the familiar neighborhood, both were tired from the two hour drive.

"There. That house with the black gate over there." Gun said pointing it for Kris to see.

"You mean that mansion?" Kris asked before slowing down and ultimately stopping right in front of where Gun had pointed.

The older boy didn't answer, his trembling hands hesitating to unlock the door.

"Aren't you telling me what happened to you?"

Gun's grip on the door handle weakens as the memories of what happened that one fateful day flooded in his mind. He felt a bit dizzy as the emotions comes crashing through like the waves of the ocean that exact moment his dry lips made contact with Mark's pallid one.

Gun felt a slight shake in his shoulders after being silent for a while. He raised his head to see Kris staring at him straight in the eyes, as if concern, but more like judging.

"Look, I don't want to interfere and as much as I still resent you, there are things that I just can't ignore. So tell me everything and let me understand you even just this once." Kris' words held so much authority that it made Gun think like he had no choice but to answer.

Gun blinked away the tears that was threatening to spill before swallowing hard. "My father, he doesn't like me." His breath hitched right after he started talking.

Kris only stared at him thinking that this isn't new to him. He thinks that Gun isn't the most likeable person so he guess his father's attitude towards him is normal? "And?" He asked.

"He..." Gun trailed off. He wasn't good with the use of words and he doesn't want to be misunderstood, yet again. "He hurt me.... a lot."

"Physically? Mentally?" Kris asked and immediately felt dumb when he saw the bruises that scattered Gun's body. How can he not notice the already healing cut on his lips, the faint discoloration on his left eye, and the one too many bruises on his exposed skin? But then he plays soccer and those bruises may just be mild injuries that he got from playing. It seems logical.

"He only hurts me physically once, and maybe that was normal for fathers to do that?" He said unsurely whilst shifting his gaze to his slightly shaking knees.

"So you mean to tell me P'Saint got me so worked up with just that?" Kris sighed. "So are you fine?" He asked again but was only met with a dead silence but the way Gun's eyes reflected a silent scream of dolor and the way his chest rise and fall in quick succession made him feel that there might be something more. What have Gun went through to be scared breathless like this?

"Can I go home with you?" Gun pleaded. His look was haunting and his voice sounding so desperate as he lowered his head once more.

Kris just stayed quite, not answering but his hand automatically changing the gear. He doesn't want to know everything because he's afraid it will only invalidate all of the hate that he was feeling towards his brother and Kris doesn't like to be in the wrong.

Most of the lights were already off when the two entered the house. Kris went straight to his room but Gun only stood by the door, his eyes wandering through every corners of the house where his vision could reach. It wasnt even that long since he had left this place but for him it already felt like years and he really missed his home.

His heart was filled with bittersweet memories as he entered the room that he was all too familiar with. A warm comforting atmosphere immediately engulfed him. He made his way to his bed and laid on it, his eyes glued to the ceiling. His body was tired but his heart won't let him fall asleep.