Chapter 17

Another two days passed and when I left for my training, my brother surprised me by taking me to Atlantis. I was squealing, like a pig the entire time.

Before we entered he said, "Rhea, listen carefully, my mother doesn't know of you yet. I will introduce you as my daughter. But I doubt she will believe me for long. You look too much like dad. You will call dad 'Lord Poseidon', and my mother 'Lady Amphitrite'".

"I understand Triton", I say.

"You can't call me Triton anymore. You'll have to call me 'father' from now on once we enter the city. Technically, I am not allowed to visit my children but many gods break that rule. I've not had many mortal children as I have a dislike towards quite a few. And like dad, have had only sons".

"I understand...father", I respond awkwardly, "This is weird".

"You'll get used to it Rhea, I promise. It's strange for me too. But this is the only way to protect you for now".

We entered Atlantis and were greeted by many mer-people and all sorts of sea creatures.

We entered the 'castle', if you can call it that. It's massive, but doesn't look like your typical castle that you would find in the movies. It's better. I had to wait in Triton's quarters while he spoke to Amphitrite and Poseidon.

Amphitrite will find out now that I am her grand-daughter and that Poseidon has known for over a year and has met me.

Around twenty minutes later Triton enters along with dad and Amphitrite.

I stand up immediately and bow, "Hello father. Lord Poseidon, Lady Amphitrite".

"Do you think me for a fool Triton, Poseidon? Congratulations husband, you've always wanted a daughter", Amphitrite says resigned.

"Huh", is my well-articulated response.

"You look too much like Poseidon, girl. He is my husband, and I have known him for millennia. I see the way he reacts to you, even now", she says.

I look towards my dad and Triton, feeling out of my depths with her.

"Then you must know why we must keep her a secret Amphitrite. She is important to me", my father responds.

"So important that you would try and keep her a secret from me? Your own wife?", she replies.

"Yes. We knew it was a long shot to introduce her as Triton's daughter, but we had to try. If my siblings find out about her, they will not treat her kindly", Poseidon says.

"You have little faith in me husband. I've known since the beginning of our marriage that you wished for a daughter, and after thousands of years, you finally have one. Do I like it that you have affairs with mortal women? No, but I accept it because you do not love me and I do not love you. I have resented your children because you favoured them over Triton many, many times. But this is the first time that I've seen Triton care for one of his siblings, so much so that he is willing to mascaraed as her father", she says somewhat resentfully and with understanding.

'I did not expect this. She isn't trying to kill me...yet'.

"Come, let's go have some lunch and discuss this situation", Amphitrite says snobbishly.

She left, followed with Triton and my father held me back for a minute.

"Are you alright daughter?", he asks worriedly.

"Yeah, I think so. She can be scary. She's really observant", I respond.

"Indeed she is", he responds, "Come on, I am excited to have you here Rhea. You are safe here and you can meet some of my subjects".

The whole day was stressful but also amazing. I got to explore after lunch. Amphitrite was cordial with me. Triton showed me around while Poseidon and Amphitrite got into an argument, 'probably about me'.

Poseidon POV

After Rhea and Triton left the room, Amphitrite started with me.

"How could you keep this from me?", she asks.

"I did it to protect my daughter. You've attacked and killed some of my children in the past before out of resentment", I respond.

"Yes, because you cheated on me. I was angry. Now I am sad, but I understand. I will not harm her, I give you my word Poseidon", she says, which surprises me.

"Thank you. I do not expect you to like her, I understand if you don't, but it would mean a lot to me if you would at least get to know her", I tell her.

"I will do my best Poseidon", she says sadly and turns away from me.

"Amphitrite?", I ask.

"I am sorry that I could never give you a daughter. I never really wanted another child, but looking at her, she looks so much like you. I've never seen the appeal to another child until today", she responds.

'Oh I see, she is feeling insecure. Women! She knows we have a loveless marriage, but that doesn't mean that we haven't become friends over the years. Not close friends, but friends nonetheless'.

"Thank you for being so understanding", I say sincerely.

"I hope she is worth it Poseidon", she says.

"She is, I promise", I say to her, bringing her hand to my lips and giving it a kiss.

We walked next to each other and saw Triton leading Rhea to the training arena.

"He cares for her deeply, I see", my wife states.

"He does. I was just as shocked as you are when I saw him with her last year".

"He's always wanted a sister", she replies, "and now he has one. I am afraid that he will be as overprotective as you are. I can see it in your eyes".

I told her about meeting with the Fates, she was shocked of course, and what they said to me and Rhea. She might not have been the best wife and mother, but she has her moments and can offer sound advice when needed.

Rhea went home with a bright smile on her face and came back to Atlantis four more times before she and her mother left Montauk and it will be another year before I see my daughter again.