Legacy, Chapter 50

Sophie stretched out her consciousness, making sure she had Keefe's permission to slip into his mind.

I'll be with you the whole time, she promised. I won't let anything bad happen to you.

Pretty sure you can't control that but –

Oh, yes I can. I mean... I can't stop any pain – I wish I could – but... I've been in broken minds and lost minds is an ogre minds and gnomish minds and so many other kinds of minds – and I've done healings and probes and all kinds of fancy telepath things that will sound super boring so I'll stop there. And the one thing I've seen over and over is that we all have... an inner sense of self. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but just... When I've had to heal people, THAT'S how I've done it. I just found the true pieces of themselves and bring it back, and that makes them THEM again. So when this goes down, I'll be here with you. And I'm not going to let you lose YOU. Trust the telepath. My other abilities may have let me down sometimes, but this one always come through.

They locked eyes across the room, and Sophie's heart ached when he let his walls come down, showing her all the fear and fury and doubt and worry and hate he was feeling in that moment because of what was about to happen.

Trust the Telepath, she repeated.

I do. And she could feel how strongly he meant those words. I'm... really glad I met you, Sophie.

Me too, she told him, hoping he could feel how much she meant it too.

"Are we ready?" Lady Gisela asked, clapping her hands again and snapping Sophie back to the cold, shadowy reality of that dim, miserable room.

But she could also still feel the warm hum of the mental connection between Keefe and her. Like their minds were holding hands- which might've been the goofiest, sappiest thought she'd ever had.