Chapter Thirteen

NEWS OF THE GODS DEFEAT SPREAD THROUGH THE AVENGERS TOWER. Tony Stark's laugh echoed throughout the floor when Thor arrived with a bloody rag in his hand. He clenched his stomach unable to form words as the God dropped Mjolnir in an annoyed manner.

"How the hell did she manage to do that Blondie? I thought you were a god?"

Steve held in his laugh as he took a sip from his coffee cup, "I told you not to piss her off."

The laughter was cut short as Bruce Banner barged in looking rather angry. He stormed up to Steve with narrowed eyes. For anyone who knew Bruce, they knew that if he got angry enough the room would end up in shambles. The tension in the air was thick as he spoke.

"I told you she wasn't ready for training Rogers. Why did you possibly think having her RUN LAPS was a good idea??"

The vein in his neck popped out as he got closer to Steve.

"I told her if she started feeling any pain that she needed to stop. I offered a different method of training but she wanted to challenge herself. I didn't think it would do any harm," Cap replied honestly.

For most of the avengers, they weren't used to having a human around. Especially one that didn't have advanced healing like the rest of them did.

"Thanks to you she is in pain again. I told you to leave it alone. I told all of you," Bruce said giving a look to Tony too.

Everyone remained silent as Banner struggled to get ahold of his inner self.

"It's my bad," Tony said avoiding the wrong words, "We will take care of her."

"If you were really planning on taking care of her you should have taken her to a real hospital and given her money for a new house since you destroyed hers."

The two began bickering drawing Natasha into the room. Thor, Steve, and Nat kept a safe distance watching the scene unfold.

"I'm sorry but since when was all that my doing? I'm not the one with no self-control."

By this point, everyone knew Tony had gone too far. Bruce Banner was looking rather green when Steve turned to the rest of the team with urgent eyes, "Thor get Nova. Lock her in the room and stay with her. Nat and I will handle this."

Before the god could even reply the Hulk was already out. Tony retracted into his suit just before the Hulk let out a yell throwing a punch in his direction. Steve beckoned his shield as they struggled to get ahold of the green man in front of them.

Nova heard the yelling before the fighting even began. She grew worried unable to move from her bed under the doctor's orders. The yelling grew so loud she sat up holding her hands over her ears trying to shut out the noises. Her eyes remained shut as she focused on breathing deeply.

This attempt at staying calm was useless when Thor ran in slamming her door shut and effortlessly throwing the heaviest dressier in front of it. His hair was disheveled as he quickly made his way over to her bed.

When Thor was back on Asgard he would never back away from a fight, but the only thing on his mind now was keeping the girl away from harm's way. She tried to protest but he grabbed her figure gently carrying her to the corner of the room where he crouched down with her still in his arms.

Her mind was still filled with the sounds of crashing from below them making her unable to react properly. She knew her anxiety was growing with each loud clatter. Thor noticed this as she began sweating and shaking lightly. Her eyes remained tightly closed as Thor put a hand on the back of her head pulling her completely into his chest. Normally Nova would refuse to allow this close proximity to the god of thunder but she gripped his shirt tightly in her palms unable to shake the anxiety building within her chest.

"Focus on my voice," Thor said quietly into her ear.

Although the god was unfamiliar with human emotions, when his brother Loki would wake up trembling from night terrors, Thor had picked up a few tricks to calm him down.

Nova Lee's chest felt on fire as she laid against Thor's hard one. The tingling that had happened before returned and spread throughout her body. This sweet sensation kept Nova's mind at ease as she forgot about the sounds around her. All she heard was the god's chest-beating loudly from beneath his shirt.

The girl was somewhat surprised by the sound of his heart. She knew he was alive but being a god and all made her doubt the amount of humanity within him. This soft patter reassured her. That although this man radiated power and strength, he had a heart just like hers. He had feelings just like her.

When the fighting from downstairs was all over Thor stayed still from his place on the bedroom floor. Nova was snuggled deeply into his chest with her long eyelashes fluttered shut. Her lips had a slight pout on them as she tilted her head deeper into Thor's arms. He admired the freckles on her cheeks as he avoided waking her.

He sat like that with her frail body in his grip. Because that's where he knew she was most safe. One person changed Thor's entire outlook on humans. He thought that humankind was naive and weak. But in the god's eyes, this girl was innocent and strong-willed. Her heart was sculpted differently than the rest he thought. Why else would she be able to withstand a shock of thunder?

Thor couldn't help but wonder if the creation before him was meant for him.

———

Thank you for all the reads!