Chapter 17

I felt beyond groggy. I tried to roll over but felt something press against my stomach. I rubbed my eyes, blinking a few times to clear my vision. I was in a car, there was a seatbelt strapped around my stomach. I looked to the driver and smiled when I saw Derek. I unclipped the seatbelt and crawled into the front passenger seat.

"Be careful peaches, your ribs are broken, remember?" He said sternly.

I buckled myself into the front seat then turned to him and stuck out my tongue. He chuckled, shaking his head.

"So where are we headed?"

"Remember the cabin I told you about? The one my father built in the mountains?" He said, watching me from the corner of his eye.

"The one in British Columbia?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah, that's where we're going." He said, smiling.

"Wait, so we're in Canada?"

He nodded in response. All I could muster was a 'hmm' and left it at that. Derek always was spontaneous, it was one of his admirable traits. Something still felt off though, I just couldn't place my finger on it. He placed his hand on my thigh, pulling me from my thoughts.

"You okay peaches?" He asked, concern lacing his voice.

I nodded, "Yeah, just tired still."

I looked down at the cast on my arm and noticed ink peeking out from the sling. I moved it slightly to the side to reveal a sweet note scrawled across my arm.

"I love you peaches, more then you'll ever know. I always will. Derek."

There was a little heart next to his name. I smiled like an idiot as I traced the tiny heart with my finger.

"You adorable nerd." I giggled.

He looked at my blushing face, then down at the note he'd written on my cast. He lifted my hand up gently to meet his lips. He kissed my fingers softly, taking care not to hurt my arm. I loved how he still gave me butterflies, even now.

"Get some sleep peaches. We still have a long drive ahead of us." He said, gently squeezing my knee.

I nodded, resting my head against the door. I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. I feel asleep within a few minutes.

~*~

I could just barely hear the soft crackling of a fire. The room smelled of wood and pine trees. I opened my eyes to find myself in a bed and no longer in the car. I looked around at the room, the walls were pine, a small window was off to the side. The large king sized bed was in the center of the room. Two doors were at the foot on the bed. As I sat up, one of the doors opened.

"You're finally awake." Derek said with a smile.

"Where are we?" I asked groggily.

"My father's cabin. You've been asleep since yesterday. It's 8pm." He said sitting next to me.

I blinked a few times, not fully registering what he said right away. I'd slept for almost a full 24 hours. I shook my head as Derek walked around the bed. He helped me up, supporting my weight so we could go to the living room. It was a fairly large room with high ceilings. There was a couch and two chairs situated infront of a fireplace. There was a kitchen off to the side, along with a dining table and chairs. The bathroom was just on the other side of the kitchen. I sat down on the couch with Derek. There was a tv mounted above the fireplace. I rested my head on Derek's shoulder as I watched the dancing flames in the fireplace.