ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

–– future / present annabeth ––

"Heads up!"

Annabeth watched the campers hit the volleyball back and forth at the court. If Michael Yew didn't look six years younger, she could've forgotten the fact that she wasn't in her time.

"Pass!"

Annabeth sighed and pouted, resting her chin on her fist.

Sally had come back with Chiron in the IM, but Chiron couldn't tell them anything they didn't already know. He'd wished them good luck and urged them to stay in contact.

They'd cut the connection with new senses of worry.

Annabeth didn't usually bother herself with the what ifs, the possibilities, unless necessary for success.

But she couldn't stop her mind from wandering.

What if they were stuck here, in this time––forever? Or they were sent back before they could finish their task, and end up messing the future up for themselves?

Annabeth had no doubt they could do something about Moros, but there were so many factors they were unsure of.

She was so deep in thought that she didn't notice the figure take a seat beside her until they spoke.

"Hey."

Annabeth made a strangled sound.

"Whoa––you okay?" Luke moved slightly closer.

Annabeth didn't turn to look at him. "Fine." Her voice was quiet.

Luke leaned on his knees. "If you say so." Annabeth could tell he was studying her from his seat in the dirt next to her.

"Is there a reason you've been avoiding me? Or is that...just how you are now––no offense, of course, it's just...different?" Luke scratched his head. "It's much easier to talk to you when you're younger than me," he admitted.

Annabeth nodded. "I haven't been avoiding you, Luke. I have been busy, you know," she teased.

Luke shrugged. "Fair enough. What I don't understand is the entire personality change when you're around me. I see you with...Percy and all of your other friends. I can't help but be curious, don't you think?"

Annabeth forced herself to look at him. "I know. I'm sorry. It's just..."

Luke held her gaze. "Just what?"

Annabeth looked away.

What could she say? It wasn't as if she could just straight up tell him she knew he was working with Kronos, and she tried to limit most types of interaction with people like that.

"You have a lot going on right now," she told him. "It's not my place to interfere."

Luke's expression slowly withered, until all that was obvious was his simple frown.

Annabeth continued, "Don't misunderstand me. I love you, Luke. You're..." She swallowed hard. "You're family. But we're at a very crucial point in time where I can't mess anything up. And if you're constantly near me, I might do just that." She met his eyes again. "Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

Luke furrowed his brow and thought for a long time. "So you––?"

The question was unspoken, but Annabeth knew what he was trying to say.

"I've lived my future, and I know yours, yes."

Luke stared hard at her.

Finally, he said, "Truce."

Truce.

The word she, Thalia, and Luke formerly used when a situation called for a compromise.

Annabeth fingered her necklace. "Yeah, truce. And no, I'm not telling you anything. I can't change the future, and I'm not going to try."

Luke nodded for a while. "Alright. I don't really get it, but I won't mess this up for you."

Annabeth gave him a smile. "Sounds good."

He stood and brushed his pants off. "Oh, I forgot. It's Friday."

Annabeth watched him go, grinning.

Capture the Flag.

i know, i know, it's really short. but you guys asked for an update, so i thought i'd put this up asap.

thanks for reading !!

peace out in demigodishness and all that !!

~ grace 💙💙💙