Chapter 30

Lady k

Lady k

It was a cold morning. You'd almost think the harmattan had started, with the way the wind whirled the trees and the fogs covered all the pathways, and it wasn't even that early. It was early enough for breakfast and work of course at the Ozor's.

Christian was already dressed in his suit, taking his time with his breakfast. Eating slowly like he wasn't in a hurry to get to work. You'd be surprised why. The reason he had suddenly decided to stay for breakfast, for the first time since he and Natalie had moved into their own home. Natalie watched him nibble on his food slowly, taking his time. Who on earth ate breakfast at almost twelve PM?

That was unlike Christian, to not be at work as early as seven. If there was one thing he was known for, it was his undying dedication to Benoil. Christian had lived all his life, and trained himself to the best of his capacities, dedicated himself to the company, and just watching him sit there, relaxed and not bulging, worried a lot of people, not just Natalie. What worried them even more, was the thought that they knew exactly what he was trying to avoid, more like who.

"Sir." Natalie kept her eyes glued on him, even as the older maid approached them with her hands joined together underneath her apron. She watched Christian slowly pick another slice of beef from his plate, and then put it right into his mouth.

"Has he left yet?" He asked not even bothering to look at who he was asking. She shook her head.

"Not yet sir. He still insists on waiting for you, until you let him in, until you're ready to see him."

Christian dropped his fork in frustration. Had he really not left yet? Just how stubborn and persistent was he exactly?

I would say very.

Jeremiah had rushed all the way from home, as early as six AM. Early enough to meet up with Christian, right before he left for work. He wasn't allowed into Benoil anyway. It wasn't like anyone was stopping him from going, he just knew that staying away completely from the company, and anything that concerned it, including the building, was one of the only strategies to remain invincible to every worker and shareholder, and also a strategy to get Christian on his side again. He never went there. Not even if his life depended on it, so there he was, waiting right outside the big house in all that cold, especially since Christian had specifically given an order not to let him in.

"He insists on waiting, till you agree to see him. Do you want to see him sir?"

Natalie scoffed, and then reached for her glass of orange juice. You should have seen the way Christian raised his head to look at her, and how his frown worsened when he noticed the smirk on her face after she dropped the glass.

"You know," she slowly raised her head to meet his. "It's really cold outside. Freezing actually, and you've let him wait outside for hours, six hours if I'm right. If you're just not going to see him, you should go ask him to leave yourself, instead of cowardly hiding here, under the camouflage of having breakfast. Don't waste his time, and yours." She smiled, and then blinked her eyes. "Just my two cents."