Chapter Twenty

"Well this is a surprise... I guess this means you are actually promised to Prince Theodosius." Evangeline murmured, clutching the necklace tightly in her fist.

"Oh, yes... well I had not actually thought of that..." Ro hastily explained, her cheeks growing as hot as the sun.

Would Theodosius want her now?

"To be honest right now I just want to see my family. We have been parted for so long, and they are all I am thinking of. Whatever is to happen between Theodosius and I, I will figure out another day, but I have to run now. Thank you for... everything, I hope you find true happiness soon." Ro explained feeling a little lightheaded, and bowed to Evangeline one last time as a sign of respect and parting on good terms, before she tried to take her necklace back.

She had to pry it from Evangeline's fingers who did not seem to be in a hurry to let go. Giving the strange girl wracked with envy one last courteous nod, Aurora turned determined to find Theo when Evangeline called out.

"Wait, Ro!" Impatiently she turned around wondering what Evangeline could possibly want now. "I am so... happy for you. As a thank you for everything you have done for me, allow me to take you to Theodosius. I was just with him, and I know a short cut on how to get there." Evangeline proposed.

"...Ok." Ro relented. "But only if we hurry, my parents will be leaving soon and I just have to get to them."

"Of course, follow me." Evangeline nodded, and motioned for Ro to follow her in the opposite direction.

The two girls hurried along, one with nervous anticipation and the other with a sly smile. The truth was Evangeline had no idea where Theodosius was; he barely even looked at her let alone cared to speak with her. Jealousy had corrupted Evangeline's heart and she found herself hating the Princess Aurora who was a pain when she thought she was dead, and now a fatal illness that she was alive. It did not help that the so-called Princess was her maid who Theodosius was already probably in love with; ruining all of Evangeline's hard thought plans to become Queen. Her parents would never look at her again if she did not secure a rank of high honour. She was already second best to her sister. Evangeline was determined to make Ro or Princess Aurora or whoever she was disappear forever with no one knowing the truth but her.

"Are you sure we are going the right way? It seems awfully dark and quiet down here." Ro pondered aloud feeling slightly unnerved. They had not seen a single person apart from a few guards for about five minutes.

"Oh yes Princess, we are going exactly where you belong."

Abruptly Evangeline stopped walking right before they turned a corner.

"What are you doing?" Ro asked impatiently, certain that Evangeline was playing games with her.

In response, Evangeline cried out as if she were in pain and collapsed to the floor crying.

"Oh Evangeline, what's wrong?" Ro gasped as she fell to her knees to help her.

"Help! Help!" Evangeline cried out, scaring Ro as Evangeline brought her arm up and bit herself.

Aurora was in shock... She had never witnessed a lady showing such violent and aggressive behaviour.

"Evangeline... what are you doing?" Ro asked feeling horrified.

Soon the pounding of heavy boots echoed from down the hallway, and Ro was relieved as a single male guard came to see what all the fuss was about.

"What is going on here?" He asked with an air of panic, kneeling down to help the wailing Evangeline.

"Oh sir, thank goodness you have come! This... this brute maid attacked me! She pushed me over and bit me right here, see!" Evangeline sniffled, thrusting her arm in the mans face so he could see the red dents.