11|| Fly Birdy

Everything blurred together as she fought. Not even the fact that a teen's blood coated her fist seemed to register to her.

She was barely aware of Hank and Dawn as they desperately tried to fend off the parents. Or of the droplets of blood that seeped through the sleeve of her grey hoodie.

All she was aware of was the feeling of metal rope in her hands and the panicked gasps of the daughter.

The daughter thrashed out, her hands clawing at the chain that Sophie held against her neck. She didn't want to permanently hurt the kid, but this girl was resilient.

"Dick!" Rachel's shrill cry startled Sophie.

Her head snapped to the side just as the son kicked Dick hard in the chest. He flew over the lip of the roof before Sophie could even move.

The wind was suddenly knocked from her lung like she was the one who had been kicked in the chest.

Quickly she kicked out the daughters legs and threw her to the ground. Her attention turned to the son, who was now facing her.

She needed to focus but every part of her wanted to go after Dick. She knew couldn't let her emotions get the better of her. She needed to get to Rachel before anyone else could.

Light shone from the palms of her hands before she threw two daggers towards the son. He turned to the side dodging the first dagger. The second dagger sank into his bicep before vanishing, leaving a bleeding hole in its place.

His eyes widened as she ran towards him. He swung his bat towards her head and she rolled beneath it, getting behind him.

He spun around with his bat out and she quickly grabbed it. Her grip tightened around the wood before she used her other hand to grab his forearm.

She angled her body sideways and slammed her elbow into his nose. He stumbled backwards and she yanked the bat out of his grasp.

Sophie glared at the kid and tossed the bat over the edge of the roof. His eyes darkened before his sister's chained blade whipped past his head.

She rolled to the left to dodge the blade, landing in a pounce stance.

The son rushed forwards and Sophie sprang off of the ground. She used her momentum to twist herself in the air, landing a well timed kick to the kids head.

They both hit the ground hard, but only she got up.

"Hank!" A strangled cry came from Dawn. It was panicked and forced.

Sophie's head snapped towards her and her eyes widened. The father had Dawn by the throat, blood spilling past her lips. Hank was forced to his knees by the mother who had a blade to his throat.

"Shit." She cursed. She needed to get over there and help but she knew she couldn't leave Rachel unprotected.

"Sophie, watch out!" Rachel shouted.

She barely had the chance to see the chained blade wrap around her leg before she was yanked off of her feet.

She fell backwards, her head bouncing off of the exposed vent Rachel was hiding behind.

Pain soared through her body and her vision became spotted. She closed her eyes tight as a shaky breath left her lungs.

Her head and neck ached and the ground beneath her began to teeter. The sounds around her began to fade and a scream echoed through her ears before everything went dark.

****

It all came back at once. The throbbing pain coming from the deep cut on her bicep. The cold chill that blew through her heavy sweater. The smell and taste of coppery blood. And the struggling grunts that came somewhere to her left.

Pain radiated down Sophie's spine and her head felt like a ton of bricks. Still she forced her heavy eyes open.

The cloudless night sky came into focus first. As raised her head, she spotted Hank laying still, and the once beautiful bird cage in pieces.

She slowly pushed herself up onto her hands and knees. Her body ached in protest and her right arm shook like it might give out.

The fight came back to her all at once, hitting her in the face like a wrecking ball. The psycho family attacking Hank, Rachel, Dawn, Dick.

Dick.

Sophie's eyes widened and she scrambled to her feet.

Panic surged through her body as she rushed to the edge of the roof. She peered over expecting to see a bloody mess painting the alleyway. Instead she saw Dick dangling from a metal pipe that went along the side of the building.

A relieved sigh left her lips and she quickly leaned over the edge of the roof.

Dick looked up at her and his gaze relaxed. He reached up, grabbing her wrist with one hand before swinging his other hand up to meet hers.

His weight yanked her ribs down into the lip of the roof and she groaned.

Her right arm began throbbing worse as more blood spilled from the cut. The pain was barely a second thought as she tightened her grip on Dick's wrists and slowly began to pull him upwards.

She struggled, leaning further and further backwards to reel his dead weight back onto the roof.

Once his chest was mostly over the roof he let one of his hands go from hers and grabbed the ledge, pushing himself upwards.

The moment Dick's knees hit the ground Sophie let go of his hand and wrapped her arms tightly around his torso. She buried her head against his shoulder and let out a heavy breath.

Dick tensed beneath the sudden embrace but after a moment he wrapped his arms tightly around her.

"I thought-" Sophie paused to gulp down the tears that threatened to rise. "You scared the crap out of me." She whispered.

"I'm ok, Soph." He spoke against her shoulder. He held her tight for a few seconds longer before he pulled back and met her glossy eyes.

No matter how angry she was at Dick the thought of losing him permanently scared the crap out of her. Not talking to someone and never being able to talk to someone again, were two very different things.

Hank groaned from somewhere behind them and suddenly Sophie was snapped back to reality. She scrambled to her feet and raced over to him.

Hank was laying face down on the roof. He groggily pushed himself upwards and muttered. "Dawn."

Her eyes widened. Dawn was gone and so was Rachel.

"Dawn!" Dick ran past Sophie to the edge of the roof beside the bird house. He peered over and Sophie's heart sank.

He didn't have to say anything for her to know Dawn had gone over the roof. And the break in his voice confirmed what she already knew.