scene 99- more

Hello.

It's been ages since I wrote in this notebook.
Years.

I'm rather upset.
At least Wild appears to be improving.
It's likely that he's afflicted with the same thing I once suffered.
Though, it's much worse for him.
He's died three times.
The first time was part of his story, but the last two times were his handiwork.
That's the nicest way I can put it.
The first time, he stabbed himself I'm the heart with a knife.
This second time, which was quite recent, he stabbed himself in the neck with an arrow.

I keep hearing the phrase, "third time's a charm" in my dreams.
I wonder if it's trying to tell me something.
I hope it doesn't have to do with Wild.
I hope it's just my subconscious being weird.
I have been thinking about the masks quite a bit....

I hope it's not happening again.
I fear that may be the case.
For both things.

●~●~●

Time closed the notebook and looked at Wild. He sighed and looked back down at the notebook.
He ran a hand through his hair.

That was something Wild had never seen him do. To be fair, he hadn't really paid much attention to Time. He was always in the background.
Kind of just... there.

That was how he felt sometimes.
Just watching people go about their lives.
Talking to them occasionally.
Not doing much else.
Just a supporting character.

Time was important to the group nonetheless. Without him, things would fall apart quickly.

Wild wasn't nearly as important. Without him, bot much would change. He hadn't been here long enough to make a big difference. Well, he had made a difference, but that was only because of the bad things that happened.

Still, they were his friends.

Why was Time only just now coming into the foreground? Was it because he was acting different? Is that what it took?
Or was it the other way around? Was he acting different because he was coming into the foreground?
Maybe it was just that Wild was noticing things about that he didn't notice before.

That still didn't answer the question. Why was he noticing him more in the first place?

"Hello, Warrior. Why are you up early?"
Wild was pulled from his thoughts by Time's voice.
"I could say the same for you."
"I couldn't get to sleep, and Wild came in the middle of the night."
"Ah."

Warrior sat down next to Time. He reached over and picked up the notebook, but Time quickly ripped it from his hand, glaring at him wordlessly. Warrior put his hands up.
"Sorry! Sorry."
Time sighed.
"It's okay. This... well, I just don't want anyone looking at it. That's all."

Time stood up and walked away, picking up a bag on his way.

After he was a good distance from camp, he sat down under a tree. He set the bag down next to him and opened the notebook.

The page he opened to had paragraphs scrawled in a child's handwriting.
He sighed and began reading.

~~~

Day 2- try 3
I figured out some more people's schedules. I wish they'd just stay home more.

Day 3- try 3
can't write much. Gotta finish some stuff. Third times a charm.

Day 1- try 4
I still didn't finish in time. I only had one more thing to do. It's getting repetitive.

Day 2- try 4
Can't stop thinking about that mask. I get annoyed over the stupidest things. I just wanna go back home.

Day 3- try 4
I hope it works this time.

Day 1- try 5
Had to start again. I hate this.

Day 2- try 5
I've memorized everybody's schedules.

Day 3- try 5
What if I never do it right? What then?

Day 1- try 6
On the sixth try. How many times will I have to do this?

Day 2- try 6
At this point, there isnt much reason to keep writing in here. It's getting hard to find anything to write about.

Day 3- try 6
Starting to lose hope.

~

Something seemed a little odd. He read over, from the beginning.

Then, he found what was bothering him.
On day three, try three.

"Third times a charm."

That phrase again.
Weird.

He turned to the next page, skipping over a bit.

~

Day 1- try 9
If it doesn't work this time, I'm just not gonna go back. I don't care. I don't want to watch the moon fall again.

Day 2- try 9
I hate this. I really really f**king hate this.
Time moves too damn fast. I want to kill it even more than I want to kill that skull kid.
The song of healing is stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

Day 3- try 9
This place is literally called Termina. Like a terminal illness. I'm never going to save it. The moon is inevitable. I want to destroy that mask.

~

That was the last try. The ninth try. Fitting. Three sets of three sets of three days.

He flipped all the way back, to the beginning.

~

- Today Saria gave me this notebook. I'm happy.

- Milo hit me with a stick. He said I don't belong here cuz I don't have a fairy. Saria told me not to listen to him.

- I jumped off a roof and into a bush. It hurt more than I thought it would.

- Milo punched me. I punched him back and called him stupid. I'm proud.

~

He smiled and flipped forward a few pages.

~

- Today a fairy woke me up and told me to go to the Great Deku Tree. I had to go inside him. It was weird and disgusting and I hated it. He said I was special. Dunno what that's supposed to mean.

- I had to leave the forest. Saria gave me an ocarina. I really like it. I wish I didn't have to leave. I hope I come back soon.

~

Time closed the notebook and sighed, looking up. He rubbed his eyes and shook his head.

He had to stop getting upset over things that already happened. He couldn't change anything about it now. And he couldn't change anything back then, either.

Nobody could.

He couldn't change what would happen to Wild.

Nobody could.

It was inevitable.

third time's a charm