Chapter 3: Change

Alana woke early in the morning to the sound of people speaking quietly. She tried to open her eyes to see what was going on when she was struck by a throbbing in her head. She began to panic when she realized that she couldn't see around her, and when she tried to speak, nothing came out.

"Hush, your vocal cords were damaged in your fight," a voice came from above her.

The bright ceiling lights kept Alana from seeing who was speaking to her, so she brought up an arm to shield her face. Beside where she was laying was a young woman who Alana had never met before.

As if sensing her panic, another face came into view. It was Qui-Gon Jinn.

"You're alright, Alana. You're on my ship just outside of Mos Espa. You were knocked unconscious after winning your fight last night, and my Padawan, Obi-Wan, found you and brought you here. Eirtaé has patched you up as best as she can," he said.

"Mom? Ani?" Alana managed to say hoarsely, despite Eirtaé's protests.

"Please, Alana, be quiet. I was just about to head into town to speak with your mother and brother about your condition," Qui-Gon said.

Alana struggled against Eirtaé's grasp on her shoulders and managed to sit up, despite the burning pain all over her body from the bruises, and the sharp pain in her throat and head. Just as she sat up, trying to protest Qui-Gon leaving her on the ship, her eyes came into contact with the man from the night before, who she assumed was Qui-Gon's Padawan, who was now standing just behind his Master and out of sight from where she had been laying.

The two caught eyes, with Alana reaching for a fuzzy memory of his presence from long ago, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"I'm going," Alana rasped out, pulling her attention from Obi-Wan and looking at Qui-Gon.

"You're in no condition," Eirtaé said.

"I, for one, agree," Qui-Gon added.

Alana began to stand from the table. Despite her bruises and the condition of her throat and head, she was able to stand perfectly fine.

"I'm going," she repeated.

"Master, it is not our place to keep her from her home," Obi-Wan spoke up in her defense.

Alana flashed him a grateful smile before looking back at Qui-Gon, who sighed.

"Alright, then," he said. "We are leaving shortly, and you should change before we head back. The blood on your shirt will cause your mother more anxiety than she needs."

Eirtaé pursed her lips, clearly unsatisfied with the analysis of the situation, but she went along with it.

"Come, I will give you new clothing. The Queen is still resting, but I'm sure she won't mind us taking some clothes for you," Eirtaé said, taking Alana's bandaged hand. Alana could only assume that her knuckles were raw from the fight.

After a few minutes spent wordlessly arguing with Eirtaé, Alana was finally dressed in suitable clothing for the climate of Tatooine. She stepped out of the room and smoothed the shirt down before looking back up to find Obi-Wan standing with his back to her. They were the only two in the room.

"Thank you," Alana whispered, barely audible with the raspiness of her voice.

Obi-Wan turned and saw her. She wore a simple blue shirt tucked into a pair of trousers. A belt held a jacket and her trousers tight across her waist, and in her hand, she was holding a scarf to wrap around her face to keep the sand out. He stood there for a moment, taking her in when he realized that Alana had repeated her statement.