28 ; hogsmeade pt. 2

SECURE — CHAPTER 28

[ An unsaid notion wedged itself between them — the notion that there was someone who had captured his attention, someone who'd captured his attention long ago. ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"I've got to go to Honeyduke's to pick up a few sweets to send to mum," Katie said as she walked alongside Remus and James.

James nodded absentmindedly, scouring the shop signs of Hogsmeade, his lips pursed in mild concentration. Katie turned her head to see him visibly perk up once his eyes landed on a dress shop not far from where they were standing. "Yeah, alright. We can split up here. I think I've found my present as well."

Katie followed his gaze. The luscious, bold fabrics that hung inside the shop window looked to be out of her mother's style range, who opted for darker pieces, but she didn't doubt James' stylistic choices. He could be well versed in the art of fashion when he needed, as surprising as that was.

"Sirius and I are going to Zonko's then. I've been waiting to check out their latest stock," said Peter, taking a few steps backward in the direction of the joke shop with Sirius following after him. James just nodded, listing a few items he asked them to purchase for him.

The remaining eyes fell on Lily, who fidgeted slightly under their gazes. She sighed lightly, avoiding eye contact with Katie and James especially. "I'm gonna go with James," she reluctantly muttered, so quiet that they almost didn't hear. Katie and Remus shared a look at the way James seemed to be bursting with badly contained joy at the fact that Lily had called him by his first name.

A wide smile graced James' face, to which Lily was quick to add, "I got a letter this morning from mum saying that we're celebrating Petunia's birthday with her new beau this year. Apparently I need to dress formally."

Katie's eyes dawned in realization. "Vernon?" She pulled a face. "Just don't end up murdering the git alright?"

Lily shook her head, smiling fondly. "Will do, Kate." She waved goodbye before walking ahead of James in the direction of the dress shop.

"Don't have too much fun!" Katie yelled after her retreating back, which earned her a glare. She grinned triumphantly.

"You're a terrible tease. Quite the nuisance," Remus said to her as they fell in step beside each other.

"Would you like me to tease you then too?"

Remus stole a furtive glance at her. "No, no. Definitely not," he said airily.