Chapter 12: The Diary and Valentine's Day

I figure I'd post this chapter before Thanksgiving tomorrow. :) <3 Since I'll be busy helping dad with the cooking on that day. :) <3 To those who celebrate Thanksgiving: Happy Thanksgiving! ^_^ <3 Enjoy the chapter! ^_^ <3 Next chapter will be posted on December 1st. :) <3 

Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks. As students returned from their holiday break, rumors began to spread about Hermione. They, of course, thought that she was attacked. So many students filed passed the hospital wing to get a glimpse of her, that Madam Pomfrey had to put curtains around Hermione's bed. Harry and Ron went to visit her every evening and brought her, her homework daily. One day, Harry and Ron visit Hermione, bringing her, her homework. Ron said, as he puts her homework on her bed, "If I had sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work." Hermione said, "Don't be silly, Ron, I've got to keep up." Hermione's spirits have improved, now that all of the hair on her face were gone and her eyes were slowly going back to normal. She whispers, so that Madam Pomfrey didn't hear her, "I don't suppose you've got any new leads?" Harry shakes his head, "Nothing." They chat for awhile then said good night to Hermione. They leave as Madam Pomfrey comes over to give Hermione a dose of a potion she had to take. They head up to the stairs to Gryffindor Tower. They suddenly hear an angry outburst coming from the floor above them. Harry said, "That's Filch, come on." They hurry upstairs and quickly stay out of sight as they listen in on Filch. Filch shouts, "Now, I have even more work to do! Mopping all night! Like I haven't got enough to do! No, this is the final straw! I'm going to Dumbledore!" Filch's footsteps recede along the corridor, away from where they were hidden. The slam of a distant door told them that Filch was gone. They come out of their hiding spot and walk into the very corridor where Filch's cat was found. They saw why Filch was shouting. There was water stretching over half the corridor. From what they could see, it was seeping from under the door of Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. They could hear her wailing. Ron said, "Now what's up with her?" Harry said, "Let's go and see." They hold their robes up and walk through the water towards Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. They enter the bathroom and look around. The walls and floors were soaking wet. Her wails were coming from the toilet she was hiding in. Harry said, "What's wrong Myrtle?" Moaning Myrtle pokes her head out, looks over at them and said, "Come to throw something else at me?" Harry said, "Why would we throw something at you?" Moaning Myrtle said, "Don't ask me. Here I am, minding my own business.... When someone thought it was funny to throw a book at me." Ron said, "But, it can't hurt if someone throws something at you, I mean, it'll go right through you." Suddenly, Moaning Myrtle flies out of the toilet and right up to Ron's face looking angry. She said, "Sure! Let's all throw books at Myrtle, because she can't feel it! Ten points if you get it through her stomach!" She thrusts her transparent fist into Ron's chest. She said, "50 points if it goes through her head!" She thrusts her transparent fist through Ron's startled face. Harry said, "Who threw it at you, anyways?" Moaning Myrtle said, "I don't know. I didn't see them. I was just sitting in the U-bend, thinking about death, when it fell through top of my head." Moaning Myrtle floats away wailing once more. Harry spots a soaked black book outside of Myrtle's stall. He goes over and picks it up. It looks as if it was a diary. He looks at the front of the book, then looks at the back. There on the back of the diary was a name. The name on the diary was: Tom Marvolo Riddle.

Harry and Ron take it to Hermione after lessons the next day. They told her the name on the diary and where they found it. Hermione looks at the diary. She uses an eraser to no affect. Then she pulls out her wand and points it at the diary, "Aparecium!" Nothing happened. Ron's eyes lit up as if he suddenly remembered something. He said, "Hang on a minute, I know that name. Remember the trophy that Filch made me clean in detention?" Harry and Hermione nod in response. Ron said, "That name was on the trophy. I remember since Filch made me clean it after I burped slugs all over it. It was awarded to Tom Riddle 50 years ago, for special services to the school." Hermione said, "50 years ago? Are you sure?" Ron said, "Yeah, why?" Hermione said, "Don't you remember what Malfoy told you? The last time the Chamber was open was...." Harry finishes for her, "50 years ago! That means...." Hermione finishes for him, "Tom Riddle was here at Hogwarts when it happened! What if he wrote about what he saw? It's possible he knew where the Chamber was. How to open it. Even what sort of creature lives in it. If so, whoever is behind these attacks, wouldn't want this diary lying around, would they?" Harry said, "That's a brilliant plan, Hermione, but there's just one flaw. There's nothing written in the diary." Hermione sighs, knowing that Harry was right. Since she's tried everything she could think of to get the diary to reveal its secrets. After they said good night to Hermione, they leave the hospital wing and head up to Gryffindor Tower. Later that night, while everyone was asleep, Harry tiptoes downstairs with the diary, a quill and some ink. He sits at the table and sets his quill and ink bottle down He looks through the diary front to back and vice versa. He sets the diary down and opens it. He picks up his quill and dips it in the ink bottle. Then holds the quill above the book. A drop of ink falls onto a page in the diary. For a moment, nothing happens. Then the ink disappears into the page. An idea pops into Harry's mind as he dips his quill again and writes: My name is Harry Potter. The sentence disappears and a minute later, another sentence appears: Hello Harry Potter, my name is Tom Riddle. The writing disappears into the page just has the drop of ink did. Harry writes again: Do you know anything about the Chamber of Secrets? The words disappear, only for more words to appear moments later as it answers him: Yes. Harry writes: Can you tell me? It replies with: No. Harry looks at the book in defeat, until more writing appeared: But I can show you. Let me take you back 50 years ago. The diary flips through the pages until it suddenly stops on a page. On the top right corner of the page, the words 13th of June appeared. Suddenly, Harry felt himself get pulled right into the diary itself! Harry lands on his feet moments later. He looks around to see himself in a corridor at Hogwarts. He walks to a set of stairs. On the first landing was a 5th year boy, who wore a prefect's badge on his robes. He was looking up at something. Harry walks up the stairs to him and said, "Excuse me. Could you tell me what's going on here?" The boy didn't hear him as he continues to look up. Harry said, "Are you Tom Riddle?" Once again the boy said nothing. Harry said, "Hello, can you hear me?" Harry looks up to see what the boy was looking at. There, coming down the stairs, were wizards carrying a body away on a gurney. The body was covered completely, save for an arm hanging over the gurney. He watches as the body was taken away. Suddenly a familiar voice said, "Riddle come." The 5th year boy was indeed Tom Riddle. Tom turns to see Dumbledore at the top of the landing. He goes up to Dumbledore as Harry follows. Tom said, "Professor Dumbledore." Harry said, "Dumbledore?"