Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

When I went downstairs for breakfast the next morning, my dad was still eating. Normally he was done and ready to go by that point. I got the typical cereal in a bowl and stood at the counter moving the spoon around. I had a feeling this was about to get awkward.

"So how was last night? I didn't see you when you got back." My dad put the morning paper down and took a bite of egg from his plate.

"Unexpectedly fine." I spooned some cereal in my mouth hoping that it would give me time to think of a reply if he asked another question.

My dad looked surprised, he knew as much as Sarah and Josh that I didn't go out with other people. And if I did go out, then I usually hated it. The whole not knowing how to talk to people about mundane things always got in the way making for very unpleasant experiences.

"I don't know what I expected, but Jared was—well he was nice. Easy to talk to."

It felt odd to say it out loud, and I was fairly certain my father was not the person I should be saying that to. If he knew how close I'd come with Jared's hunting question it was likely that he would make sure I never saw him again. He'd probably lock me in my room and make sure I never talked to another living soul ever again.

My father straightened in his seat.

"Remember not to get too comfortable, Electra. You don't want to tell the right person the wrong thing. We survive because people don't know what we are. If we became known-"

"I know dad." I sighed. He was right. It used to be the reason I never got close to anyone. I was always too focused on saying the wrong thing and giving myself and the entire supernatural world away. Now it was just a habit, one that had allowed my dad to relax. Until now.

"What did you tell him?"

I looked at the ground. "Not much really. I mean, I told him about mom."

"You told him about your mother?"

"Not anything specific, I just told him that she—she died."

He was quiet for a long moment, and I knew that look of his. He was trying to decide if clean up needed to happen or if we were still good.

"You need to be careful."

"Yes, sir." I was too comfortable with Jared. Last night proved just that. I couldn't do that again, I couldn't get close to him. If I did I knew I would say something that would give me away. He may not make the paranormal hunter connection right away—who would really jump to that—but I also couldn't risk him getting anywhere close to the truth. There was only one way I could make sure that nothing came out. I was going to have to stay away from him.

"I'll be careful."

We were both silent for a few moments, staring at nothing in particular.

"Are you ready to go?" My dad slipped his jacket on.

I grabbed my bag without saying anything, and made my way out to the Jeep. The drive to the school was a quiet one, both of us lost in our own worlds like usual. I didn't think it was possible to miss my brother and sister this much, but they were really the only people I talked to. Dad didn't know how to talk to us. He didn't really know how to be the father figure in general. We called him dad, and he had put the roof over our heads, fed us, and made sure we didn't die. That's where his father roles ended though.

He didn't even say anything when I got out of the car and made my way inside. I went straight to my first class and sat down next to Stacey on the opposite side, making sure there weren't any empty seats around. She gave me a confused look.