2.2 - Christmas - Market

Lucy's POV

'Hello?'

'Hey! It's Niall! From last night? Am I interrupting?'

I quickly pull the phone away from my ear and mute the call.

'Guys!! It's Niall!! The guy from yesterday!!' I whisper as if he can still hear me.

'Yeah? So? Talk to him!!' Jamie encourages me.

'Right!' I unmute the call and put it on loudspeakers before talking to him. 'Um no. Just hanging out with my friends. We just finished decorating my sitting room.'

'You're just decorating now? We're days away from Christmas!'

'Got a little carried away with some stuff. Anyway. What's up?'

'Okay, here's the awkward part. I know this is too soon. I mean we just met yesterday, I'm supposed to play it cool and like wait a few days. But I haven't stopped thinking about you. Not in a creepy obsessed way. Or even in a love at first sight kind of way. And now I'm rambling. Point is. I had an amazing night with you yesterday. And I'd love it if we can do it again.'

I laugh at how adorable he is rambling on the phone. I can imagine him pacing back and forth around his sitting room, ruffling his slightly curly brown hair and mentally swearing at himself.

'What do you have in mind?' I ask in a chuckle.

'There's a Christmas market I wanted to go to. But Everyone I know either already went with their significant other, or is single and don't really care about it. But I love going because of all the lights and people and live music. So do you want to come with me? Pleasee?'

'Yeah! Sounds great!' I say without hesitation earning exaggerated loud gasps from my friends, but I shush them.

'What was that for?' He laughs.

'Sorry, those were my friends.' I say putting him off speakers and walking into my bedroom, sitting on the edge of my bed.

'Yeah I know, but what were they gasping for?'

'Because I said yes with no second thought?'

'Were they expecting you to say no? Did you tell them bad things about me?' He jokes.

'No! It's not that! It's just that lately... I've been isolating myself... Plus going out with a stranger I met at the bar isn't really my M.O. ...'

'Huh. So I'm special. I like that. Why were you isolating yourself? If you don't mind me asking.'

'Umm... Not really something to discuss over the phone. I'll explain when I see you.'

'Oh, I was expecting to get an "Avocado"... So glad I didn't!'

'I could still change my mind! Don't get your hopes up so fast.'

'Well, then I better hurry and see you before you do change your mind! Are you free tonight?'

'I actually am yeah.'

'Great! I'll pick you up at 6 PM?'

'Pick me up? Why do I have the feeling like it's a date?'

'What difference does it make whether it's a date or not? Isn't the point hanging out and enjoying each other's company?' He asks so calmly that it just makes me even more anxious.

So I just start ranting, the volume of my voice slowly rising, 'There's a huge difference!! There's a whole different state of mind that comes with being on a date! I have to put extra care about what to wear, how to do my hair, worry about expectations and what you may or may not do, and what I want or don't want to do. And then I'd have to deal about being disappointed if what I wanted to happen doesn't. And then-'