13: Yes

Art: Artist Not Found

The next morning all of the prisoners were woken up early and sent out into the yard. A handful was even told it was mandatory when they attempted to argue and were escorted by guards.

"Good morning, everyone," Kida greeted. She stepped out into the yard, her soldiers flanking her. Another group of guards hurried to part the prisoners in her path. Two more guards tailed the group, both wheeling in carts full of various weapons.

Each of the guards took up positions around the yard, creating a large, circular barrier around Kida. Suki, Sokka, Natsumi, and Zuko were all in the crowd and looked to the Fire Nation commander as she spoke again.

"I understand that yesterday I might not have explained everything, such as what it is that we'll be doing while I'm around," she began to speak to the throng.

"As the warden told you, I am here to make an assessment but not of the prison. I am here to assess all of you, and not because someone in the capital has some sick curiosity I'm meant to satisfy." Zuko spotted one of the men she'd entered with roll his eyes. Kida went on, "I am here to recruit."

There was another wave of murmurs. She let it play out for only a few seconds before speaking loudly over them, calling them all back to silence. "Fire Lord Ozai realizes that there is potential being wasted in these cells. He has sent me here to find that potential.

"One chance at a new life will be given to anyone I deem worthy. I need people, benders and non-benders alike, who are willing to fight battles others are not. If you show me your worth, I can give you back your honor," her eyes found Zuko in the crowd then darted to her brother pretending to be a guard nearby, "and your freedom."

There were a few low murmurs in the crowd, but no one dared speak out. A crooked smile stretched across her mouth. "Then let's begin."

Her eyes went to her men. "Who's first?"

One of her soldiers pulled out a thick scroll and opened it just enough to read the first few names. "Sanichi," he called.

One of the prison guards dragged a man out from the crowd to toss him into the circle with Kida. She smiled at the men, but he only cowered in her presence. Clearly, he recalled the last time he had seen her smile. "The rules are simple. You take my weapon," she plucked a plain dagger off the cart beside her, "you win. I take yours, and I win."

"I-I have to fight you," he stuttered, "with your bending?"

She shook her head, turning away from him. "I won't be bending," she assured with a nonchalant wave of her hand, "but you may if you can."

He remained glued to his spot, staring at the woman's back. She had started to stretch her shoulders.

His eyes wandered over to the pile of weapons a few feet away. In a matter of seconds, he spotted one of his favorites: a rather large mace. He was not a small guy, and with a weapon like that, he could do some real damage. Without her bending, he decided he had a pretty good chance.