Date Night

Cause you know...why not?

***********************************

Carter woke to a faint throbbing in her head. Disoriented, she raised her hand to feel where a bump was surely forming but found that her hands were bound, palms pressed together.

Confused, she opened her eyes but nothing changed. Everything was black. She closed her eyes, pinching them shut. When she opened them again, still the blackness continued. Tentatively, she lifted her bound hands, looking to stretch out and feeling what lay before her. Her fingers hit solid metal.

Panic spiked through her, wiping away her pain. She breathed and the sound bounced back at her, taunting her. The ties around her wrists dug into the skin, tearing away at the flesh. Trying to stave off the mounting fear, she felt around the cold, unyielding surface. As she did she could almost feel the pressure of the dirt weighing down on her tomb. Her chest constricted and she found she could barely breathe beyond shallow gasps.

She was buried alive.

Everything inside her screamed to claw at the metal, to shout until her voice was hoarse, even knowing that her attempt would be pointless. All she could think about was the earth crushing her. The air slowly getting used up.

When the box she was trapped in jolted, making her bounce and smack her head on the ceiling, she let out a shaky breath.

Not buried alive, in the back of a trunk. She relaxed against the hard surface, relieved.

As her panic and terror subsided, she became aware of the presence of something warm beside her. Moving as best she could in the confined space, she twisted onto her side.

Still, she couldn't see anything. Slowly, she reached out and brushed her fingertips along what was there. She felt a plain of muscle up to a solid chest that rose and fell.

"You can stop groping me," a deep voice said.

Tears of relief filled Carter's eyes and she exhaled in a rush.

"Donovan."

Even with the cold metal box pinning them in, she felt safe. She wasn't alone. Even if not being alone meant they were both trapped inside a trunk heading to an unknown location by an unknown attacker.

Donovan let out a deep breath, the sound ricocheting around the cramped space.

"Please tell me we're not two FBI agents that got jumped and stuffed into the back of a trunk?" he said.

"Okay, I won't tell you that we're two FBI agents that got jumped and stuffed into the back of a trunk."

"Good, for a second there I thought this would be really embarrassing."

"But if we were I would say that not sleeping for the past 48 hours would explain if that did happen."

"True."

For a moment, they were both quiet, the only sound around them their breathing. Beneath them, the ground thrummed, the vibrations worming their way through their bodies. Donovan shifted, his knee knocking against Carter's calf.

"I can't feel my gun or my knife. What about you?"

Carter rubbed her tied ankles against each other, trying to feel the familiar weight of her gun strapped to her or the knife in its holster. Neither were there.

"Mine are gone as well."

Carter felt as Donovan nodded, his hair brushing hers, the motion making a scratching noise on the metal.