Chapter Sixteen

Nova:

NOVA LEE STATMAN SPENT THE LAST THREE MONTHS TRYING TO FIND HER FATHER. Of course she knew this would be hopeless, but with her mind always active she needed a way to disconnect. Focusing all her attention on this hopeless task was just the distraction she needed. Her friend May worried about this new hope to find a man who never wanted to be around. And deep down Nova knew this too, but something compelled her to try. Perhaps finding her father would give her a sense of belonging.

She didn't know her father. He left when she was so young all she had was a picture as proof that he was there. She wanted to meet him, tell him that her mother had died, let him see the daughter he missed growing up. But after three months, all Nova had found was an address to a house that no longer existed.

"Nov, could you give it a rest for tonight? The Bachelor is on, I know how much you used to love that show!"

May used this tone on Nova often. The overly excited tone that she hoped would spark some type of emotion in Nova Lee's mind. But one disappointment after another May had come to realize that she wasn't the girl she knew before. She never spoke of the accident that gave her the scar on her chest and slight limp in her step. She never spoke of the Avengers tower or the heroes in general. And she most definitely did not speak about Thor. She knew that time in her life was brief and the feelings that the god of thunder sparked inside her would never mean a thing.

The thought of the heroes remained buried in her mind, so far buried that even she couldn't get them out. Although the memories weren't there, Nova would often get nightmares. Most of them consisted of the blonde god fighting an unknown force and failing. It usually ended with his bloody body falling to the ground. His eyes were always shining gold before he took his last breath. These dreams were gruesome and terrifying to Nova, and left her awake at night gasping for air. She would always wake up with her scar burning red.

"Nova, please?" May pleaded again as she piled popcorn into her mouth.

"Hold on, I think I found something," Nova responded as her blonde friend came over to peer at the computer.

The brunette pointed at the screen as she spoke, "It says here he briefly worked at the police station in Grapevine, Texas."

Her eyes crinkled with confusion as she said it out loud, "my biological father was a cop?"

May shrugged handing the bowl of popcorn to Nova as she patted her on the shoulder, "We can go to the station tomorrow it's not too far away. But right now let's worry about where to get pizza from."

She winked at Nova as she left the room taking a handful of popcorn with her. The brunette sighed running her hands through her short curls as she followed her out.

••••

May was already asleep 4 episodes in, causing a smile to form on Novas lips as she stood to clean up the house. She threw away the empty pizza box and dumped the remaining pop cans before gently setting a blanket over her friends body. Nova Lee truly was grateful for May. She had been there for her when her mother died and she had nobody left. May knew the trauma Nova had encountered and only hoped to ease some of it away.

Nova slowly made her way up to her bedroom, once inside she quietly shut the door and went to the attached bathroom turning on the faucet. The water ran cold making her body shiver as she peeled off her white tee shirt. Standing in the mirror in her bra, her scar was shown clearly. This reminded her of the fear she felt when she first discovered this mark. Although some of the scarring had faded away, the thunder mark still etched out across her chest.

She used to feel ashamed with this scar, as it granted her fear every time she touched it. Now when her fingers brushed up to touch the branches of discoloration, she felt calm. Whether she believed it or not, this was a mark from the god of thunder. The only reminder she had that his presence was truly there.

That night Nova Lee sat in her bathtub with her eyes shut tightly. She pictured the gods long blonde locks and his perfectly sculpted features. She imagined his inviting blue eyes. And with these thoughts, the girl wondered if meeting Thor was just a dream after all.

———

A little insight on Nova's life. Another character will be introduced soon😉