Chapter 34

Song: Blessed by Elton John

*Three Years Later. Ames and Maxon are king and queen*

I was woken up by America, who was pulling from my embrace and trying to get out of bed. I smiled a little bit. Even after three years of marriage, it still made me happy to have her as the first thing I saw each morning.

"Where are you going?" I asked drowsily as she finally got to her feet. She jumped, obviously unaware that I'd woken up.

"Oh, hey. Good morning. I'm just going down to the, ah, hospital wing."

That really woke me up. I sat up in bed. "Is something wrong? Do you need me to come?"

"No, I'm fine. It's just a routine thing, like a check-up," she explained. She tried to push me back down against the pillows, but she looked a little nauseous and I resisted.

"Are you sure? You look like you're getting sick. I could walk you down, at the very least."

She shook her head at me. "Maxon, I can walk down to the hospital wing by myself. Besides, it's your first free day in weeks. You're exhausted. Just get some rest. I'll be back in a little while."

I relented because she was right. I was extremely tired. The past few weeks had consisted of long days and late nights. I had been getting only three or four hours of sleep a night. I'd been starting to go a little bit insane from the lack of sleep. My calendar was finally clear for a whole day. There were no meetings, all of my paperwork was done. I deserved to have today for rejuvenation.

I watched as she got ready with heavy eyes. It was getting hard to keep them open. By the time she was finished, I was on the verge of sleep. America came over and placed a kiss on my forehead, thinking I was asleep. I took her hand lightly and gave it a small squeeze. "Was that the best you've got?" I mumbled.

She laughed and gave me a tender kiss on the lips. "Rest up, Maxon," she said before leaving.

I fell asleep just as the door clicked shut.

Hours passed before I was woken up by a knock on the door. I hoped I was dreaming it and put the pillow over my head. I sighed inwardly when there was another knock.

"Who is it?" I called, not even bothering to open my eyes.

"America."

"Come in," I said, not sure why she had even knocked.

I heard her footsteps and the door closing. From what I could tell, she was standing just inside the doorway.

"Hey," I greeted.

"Hi," she replied. Her voice was a little shaky, but I didn't have the presence of mind to question it.

After a moment, she started speaking again. "So, I have some news."

At that last word, I felt a wave of tiredness wash over me. News meant I was supposed to do something, I was supposed to react. I didn't have the energy for that. I interrupted her before she could go on.

"Is the country falling apart?"

"Not that I know of," she said slowly.

"Are there rebels in the palace?"

"Well, no-"

"Are you in any serious danger?"

"No, but-"

"Are our families okay?"

"Yes, but, Maxon-"

I raised my hand to silence her. She let out a high, little, impatient grunt at not being listened to. Keeping my eyes closed, I folded my arms behind my neck to rest my head on and said, "Then, I'm sorry, but I don't have it in me to care right now. Come back to bed. You can tell me in a few more hours."

I could tell from the way her stare felt, that she was a little distressed at my indifference. A seed of guilt started blooming in my stomach, but I pushed it down. Such emotions were too taxing.

I heard footsteps as she walked over to the bed. She got on top of me, straddling me and pinning me down. America ran her hands over my abdomen. "Come on, Maxon," she purred. "Don't you want to know?"

"Nope," I replied quickly.

She leaned down so that we were chest-to-chest. She kissed the side of my neck softly.

"America," I groaned, though only half in protest.

"I know you're curious," she cooed, kissing a spot closer to my ear. I shivered and I felt her smile against my skin. She moved to talk into my ear.

She whispered quietly, "I'm pregnant."

My eyes shot open and she pulled quickly away. It was good that she did or I would've crashed my head into hers as I jerked into a sitting position.

"What?" I asked unbelievingly. I must've heard her wrong. There was no way she said what I thought she did. That wasn't possible.

She grinned at me and held my face in her hands. "I'm pregnant, Maxon."

"Sorry, but did you say 'pregnant'?" I asked, still needing clarification.

"Yes," she said, nodding.

"We're having a baby?" I questioned, wondering if there was a different meaning of the word that would make more sense.

America laughed. "Yeah, we're having a baby."

I became perfectly still, trying to process. We were having a kid. I was going to be a dad. We were going to raise a child together. I was going to become a parent.

I looked to America and happiness swelled in my heart. I started grinning from ear-to-ear. I couldn't believe it.

"Oh my God, America!" I exclaimed. "We're having a baby!'

"That's what I've been trying to say."

"Oh my God," I breathed and pulled her into a hug. I smiled into her hair. America laughed and returned the hug.

I moved away and looked down at her stomach. I put my hand against her belly in awe. That was where our child was. Already, I felt some fundamental bond forming.

America took my hand and I looked up. "Aren't you glad I told you?" she smirked. The joy in her eyes was beautiful. I kissed her lips happily. I laughed giddily against her mouth.

When I pulled back, I cupped her face in my palms. "We're going to be parents, America," I whispered, still astonished.

"Yeah. And pretty darn good ones, if I do say so myself."

I stared at her for a while. It just felt too good to be true. I'd been dreaming of this day for years. We hadn't really been trying, but I'd always hoped that it would happen soon. I felt like the luckiest man alive at that moment.

I was hit with a thought. "Can we find out the gender yet?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, it's too soon. I'm only about four and a half weeks along," she hesitated. "I don't know if I even want to find out ahead of time."

I tilted my head. "Why not?"

She shrugged. "I guess I would like to be surprised, like it would make it even more exciting."

"Yeah. Okay. We can wait. I think you're right."

America smiled. "Thanks."

I pulled her to my side and kissed her temple. "I want you to know that it won't matter though. If it's a girl or a boy, has red hair or blonde, blue eyes or brown, or any other trait. I will love our child no matter what."

She looked up at me, beaming. "Yeah, me too."

I was unable to wipe a similar expression off of my face, not that I wanted to. I just couldn't get over it. I was really going to be a dad.