Chapter Seventeen

Nova:

THE NEXT DAY NOVA SET OFF ON A JOURNEY TO FIND HER FATHER. Her best friend insisted she would come along with her, but Nova simply shook her head and told her it was something she had to do on her own.

With 10 miles left on her GPS she grew tired of listening to the same music on the radio. Before she could turn it down a weather report blared through the speaker.

Storms seem to be headed toward the Dallas area this afternoon. Be careful on the roads out there as thunder and high winds could cause damage to trees.

Nova groaned knowing her ride home later that night would be difficult.

"Dammit Thor," she muttered under her breath.

It hardly rained in Dallas the past few months, making Nova curious as to why the sudden storms were appearing. For a second she almost got hopeful that she would see the god again but then she remembered the words she spoke to Tony Stark the night she left.

"Tell the god not to follow me."

She frowned at her decision to leave them without a proper goodbye. But after all she had been through, goodbyes were not in her nature.

She arrived at the police station around three in the afternoon. By this time clouds were already forming in the sky. She took a deep breath as she held the picture of her father and mother in her hand. It was an old photo taken before she was born, her father held a wide smile while her mother's mouth remained closed. His name was printed on the back in fine letters. She hoped this attempt to see her father wouldn't be a dead end. All she needed was an officer to tell her if he still lived around the area.

She took one last look in the car mirror before grabbing her purse and closing the car door. Nova was a little uneasy walking into a building that held many high profile criminals. But just a point in the right direction of where her father was and she would get the hell out of there.

The woman at the front desk managed a weak smile as Nova walked in. She could tell by the circles under her eyes that she has had a long day.

"Hi miss, I'm here to see if there is any record of a Thomas Statman working here?" Nova handed the woman the picture of her father and her ID.

"The name sounds familiar, let me double check that for you," the women replied as she got up from her chair and went to the back.

Nova looked around seeing men with badges walking around her. This prison was definitely a step down from staying with the worlds greatest heroes. She wondered what she would even do with the information she was given. Would she show up at her fathers house and demand he look her in the eye after 23 years? Her motivation was misplaced. Instead of finding out more about the connection she had with thunder, she instead went down this disappointing road.

The woman finally returned pulling Nova from her thoughts. Her face held confusion as she slowly handed the picture back to the brunette. Nova's face grew flushed as she waited for the lady to speak.

"Thomas Statman has actually never worked here, he is rather being contained in this particular prison."

Novas eyes widened as her mind thought of a million things.

"Wait, so he is here? He is a prisoner?" She asked nervously rubbing her forehead.

The woman nodded slowly offering Nova a seat as she looked distressed.

"He is allowed visitors if you'd like to see him."

She opened her mouth slowly daring to ask the question nagging her mind. "What is he in for?" Her words came out weakly as she looked at the woman.

"Attempted murder." 

Nova couldn't hear the words coming out of the woman's mouth. At that moment all the noise around her flooded her ears. Her mother died because of a violent man on the street with a gun. And here her father was locked up in prison for being one of the violent men in the world. This was something that not even the Avengers could protect her from.

Nova Lee straightened her composure mustering up her confidence as she nodded, "If you could take me to him please."

As Nova sat staring at the glass window in front of her she imagined what the man would look like. Would he have her brown eyes? Would he stubborn like her? Or maybe she wouldn't even recognize him. Her questions were answered when an angry looking man walked into the room appearing from the other side of the glass. He wore an orange jumpsuit and his face looked wrinkled and distressed.

Nova slowly picked up the phone from her side as she waited for him to sit. Her brown eyes gleamed with determination but they were on the brim with tears. His hair was gray and his eyes were drained of color making him look like the shell of a man. His lips held in a straight line as he glared at the woman in front of him.

"Hello," Nova muttered quietly, "My name is Nova Lee. I believe I am your daughter."

For a while he just sat with his ear to the phone staring into her eyes like she wasn't even there.

"I know who you are," his voice was raspy as he continued, "and you sure as hell aren't MY daughter."

Novas eyes crinkled in confusion at his words. He sounded so disgusted with her presence, making her angry grow. She didn't know why she expected that meeting this man would make her feel any less empty.

"I should've known you would be like this. I mean what can I expect from a man who ran away from his so called family when his daughter was only two."

His face almost turned into a wicked smile making him appear even more wrinkled.

"Do you think I wanted you girl? Don't you see, I made my decision leaving your mother and leaving you. It was the best decision I ever made."

Now he really was smiling at Nova as frustration flushed through her face. She wouldn't let him have the satisfaction of seeing her cry. This man was a criminal. He tried to murder a living person. She knew after this that she would never have a family, because this cruel man in front of her was surely not her father.

"Well, I see you're doing just fine without us," Nova muttered pointing around the room they were in.

She slid the photo of him and her mother over to his side of the window. Thomas picked it up holding it for a second, as his face changed for a slight moment.

"She's dead by the way," she muttered emotionless as he finally looked her in the eyes, "she was shot."

Those were Nova's final words to him as she packed up her bag and set the phone down. He sat there with the phone still to his ear and the photo of her mother still in his hands. She heard him yelling to her as she turned and left the room.

One thing Nova learned that night was that bad men could never change.

••••

When Nova finally got into her car it was dark and raining. The rain muted her cries as she laid her head down onto the steering wheel. All her life she was granted with one disappointment after another. All she wished for was one thing that calmed her mind and made her feel like she wasn't so lost. As she cried, thunder was heard from outside her car. Her eyes wondered up to the sky through her tears as light flashed brightly illuminating the darkness. Her hand wandered to the scar on her chest as she ran her fingers over the mark. For a moment it cleared it her head.

Her eyes wondered across the street as she spotted a small bar with a glowing sign out front. Nova pulled a small mirror from her purse wiping the running mascara from under her eye. The brown in her eyes appeared darker as she stared at her reflection. Pulling out a lipstick from her bag she slowly swiped the cherry red along her lips, wiping the edges when she was finished. With one last look in the mirror she closed it.

"I need a drink."