8. A goodbye

Sleep did not come easy. The adrenaline mixed with fear kept my thoughts racing long after I was in bed.

And even now in the early hours of the morning, I'm still restless.

I glance beside the bed and see with reassurance that the dark shapes of everything I need for the journey are where I left them last night. Isabel had neatly folded my clothes for today and left them in a stack, and beside them on the floor is a haversack packed full of essentials. Essentials being my water-skin full of water and neatly wrapped homemade rolls and cheese, bought yesterday at the market.

Travelling light means we will be able to go further each day, however we'll have to rely on the villages and inns along the way for provisions to survive on. Not the most ideal situation but for now putting as much distance between us and the knights is the priority.

A few rustles from outside my room alert me to others waking up. I stretch and place my bare feet onto the floor, a yawn breaking out of my mouth.

Last night it was decided that I would borrow clothes from Sage and dress like a man for the journey. Luckily both Sage and I are almost exactly the same height, me being taller than the average woman. His clothes although very loose are the right size, and their bagginess helps to hide my more womanly shape.

I quickly change out of the shirt I'd borrowed to sleep in, and slip into a pair of linen breeches and a plain woollen tunic. I then run the comb that Isabel lent me through my hair. Every few seconds it nags on tangle after tangle but eventually I get them all out. Without much thinking I twist and braid my hair into a single french plait which I pin up into a spiral up on my head, not a single strand of hair touching my shoulders.

And with that I grab the haversack and sling it over my head and leave the room.

"Morning," says a sleepy Sage. Tufts of his sandy coloured hair stick out all over the place and the candlelight sends dark shadows across his face. "There's sludge in the pot."

Yesterday I'd learnt that sludge was the casual name for porridge, something I'd never had before.

I grab a bowl and spoon then make my way over to the pot and peer in at the unappealing, lumpy mixture.

"Looks delicious." I grimace and gingerly poke it.

"Eat lots this morning lassie, you'll need your strength," Uncle Fred says, coming in through the door, cheeks flushed pink due to the cold, early morning air.

Reluctantly I spoon a good few handfuls of sludge into my bowl and sit down. Although it doesn't look the best, Uncle Fred is true, it will be a long day.

"Are you both ready" Uncle Fred asks.

Sage yawns. "Ready as we'll ever be."

I nod and take my first mouthful of sludge. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's warm and has a subtle flavour to it, the only unpleasant thing being the watery, almost slimy, texture. Through a mouthful of food I ask, "How are the horses this morning?"

"Both Griffin and Winnie are looking fine as always," Uncle Fred says. "Both are tacked up."

"Thanks Fred," Sage mumbles through his food.

"No worries laddie, just look after my great niece."

"I'll my best," Sage replies. "Any bandit shall have to get through me first."

Uncle Fred heartily slaps Sage on the back. "Glad to hear it."

Sage grins then stands and begins piling up the dishes. Hastily I shove the last mouthfuls into my mouth and hand him my stuff. "Thank you for breakfast."

"And here I was thinking that working in a manor would give you manners, obviously not," tuts Uncle Fred, opening the front door for us. "The sooner Matilda gets ahold of you, the better. She'll teach you how to behave like a proper young maiden."

I laugh sheepishly then follow Sage outside to where the dark night sky is paling into a more greyish colour. The horses are tied up; Griffin is carrying the saddle bags while Winnifred, a large, dappled-grey mare, has a saddle for us to ride on.

"You'll both be riding Winnie until Sage teachers you how to ride," Uncle Fred tells me. "You don't have time to learn how to ride right now."

"That makes sense. Is Isabel not coming out to say goodbye?" I ask.

"No, she said her goodbye last night, she needs to rest this morning." Sage replies, taking my haversack off me.

A slight pang of sadness fills me. I'd grown close to her. "Please tell her thank you and I look forward to seeing her again at some point in the future. Tell her she'll always be welcome wherever I end up setting down!"

"I will pass on your message," Uncle Fred says with a smile. "Now begone with you!"

I lean over and hug him tight, startling him. "Thank you also for everything. I'm sad I couldn't spend more time with you. You'll have to come visit me and Matilda at some point!"

"At some point." He chuckles. "Maybe next summer when the days get longer and the weather is better for traveling in. Until then, goodbye dear lassie, and be safe."

"Goodbye!" I start walking towards the mounting block.

"Wait, I almost forgot." Uncle Fred calls back. I turn around and watch as he reaches into his pocket. "Here, have this, for both disguise and sun protection." He passes me a well worn but surprisingly clean cap.

I smile. "Thank you Uncle."

He pats my shoulder. "And don't get into too much trouble on this journey, Matilda will want you to arrive in one piece."

"Goodbye," I say again and step up onto the mounting block.

I wait as Sage brings around Winnie to stand next to it. With a nervous turning in my stomach, I lift my leg over her back and sit down, my back pressed against Sage's front.

"You ready?" Sage says from behind me.

"Let the adventure begin," I reply.

Sage clicks his tongue and Winnie responds by walking forwards. Griffin copies her beside us. He is attached to us by a long lead rope wrapped around our saddle, tight enough for him to not escape but loose enough that if he spooks he won't take us all down with him.

We ride down the track, waving goodbye to Uncle Fred who stands by the farmhouse door watching us. It takes me a moment to get into the Winnie's rhythm. Having never ridden a horse before it is a very foreign feeling, especially being so high up, but I know that I will quickly become accustomed to it.

A/N:

Have you ever been horse riding?

Vote and comment if you enjoyed :) 

SouthernAlps over and out...