𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞 |1|

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 1

Sometimes I wonder why things happened the way they do

Sometimes I wonder why things happened the way they do. Why was I put into that specific situation? Into that specific family? What good will it do for me?

Maybe I was just placed on this Earth for bad things to happen to me. Or maybe that's just my crazy mind. Well, years of constantly being told you're not good enough does that to you.

I really don't give a damn about anyone else. I never have. Maybe only my friends but that's about it. Not by much anyway. I never wanted any friends. But it's kind of hard to avoid certain people when they just pop up in every aspect of your life.

Right now I'm surrounded by those people. Gabriel, Luke, and Levi. Most infuriating people I've ever met yet I happen to prefer being with them over others.

And girlfriends? Don't do those either. I've seen Luke nurse a broken heart more than enough times. It doesn't look too appealing to me.

And there's the other thing. The fact the people are terrified of me. Personally, I prefer it. No one speaks to me. I don't speak to anyone. Even the girls in this school don't have the guts to throw themselves at me as they do to the other boys.

Some of the guys, however, try their luck. One guy in particular - Jason Queen. He's a piece of shit. Doesn't know when to stop. Doesn't seem to understand that no means no. Fucks around with girls he's not supposed to.

There's one girl, in particular, he seems to have fun with. Well, to him it's fun. To her not so much. The problem with the girl is no one knows her. Or what she looks like or sounds like. She's just...there.

How the fuck did I notice her? I'd never know. Maybe because I feel like I've seen her around somewhere? I doubt it but it's a fucking strong feeling in the pit of my stomach. Now, watching her fumble down the hallway in a rush makes me curious.

"Whatcha looking at?"

"None of your business."

"Don't be an ass. I'm making it my business."

"No you won't, Gabriel," I mutter.

"Yes, I will."

"Fuck off," I mutter again. Gabriel did not fuck off. Instead, he nudged my side with his pointy elbows and snickered.

"You're staring at the tiny girl over there, aren't you?" Smug bastard.

"Fuck off," I growl. Gabriel just laughed it off with Levi and Luke.

Gabriel's also a piece of shit. Just not in the disgusting way that Jason is. I never wanted him as a friend, but it's hard to ignore someone that stole my fucking food in 6th grade. And also because he kicked a soccer ball at Jason's face that same year when he brought up some shit I didn't want to remember.

Luke and Levi. People think they're twins, but they're not. Luke's the older one with a less than a year difference between them. We count them as twins though. They look the same except for the hair and eye color - Levi with a light shade of brown and Luke with a darker brown. And their eyes are completely different. Levi has one brown, one blue and Luke has these creepy grey eyes that stare into your fucking soul.

Another difference is their personalities, Luke being the more reclused and quieter one (though I still want to punch him). Levi, on the other hand, is wild as fuck.

According to Gabriel, Luke and I are more like twins than Levi and Luke. He says it's because we behave the same sometimes. And we both have eyes that can kill you with a look. Personally, I don't see it. Luke is just another annoying little shit here to destroy my life.

I can't exactly get rid of them now. It's too late for that.

I sigh in exhaustion, my eyes burning with the need for sleep. Last night was not a good night for me. I felt sore all over; my head, my chest, my arms. Not getting any sleep makes it worse. All I wanted to do now is to go home and take a fucking nap.

"I'm going," I grumble and push off the wall.

"Wait up, you ass," Levi called, "we're coming with you – oh shit! Are you okay?"

I turn around to see what dumb shit he did when I see that same girl on the floor fumbling around with her books.

All three of them bend down to help her. All three. Is that even necessary? I roll my eyes so hard it hurt my brain. Levi bumped into her, not Luke and Gabriel.

Gabriel took her hand with a sultry smirk and lifted her off the ground.

"Why hello there, little miss," Gabriel said in a voice that he likes to say is 'charming' whilst giving me a sly look. He pressed a kiss to the back of her hand and grinned again.

"I hope that was you falling for me."

Holy shit that was so bad it hurt my brain even more. I stare at them with a bland look as the boys' joke around with her. But after a few minutes, I become restless. I really wanted to go home and they really need to stop talking to the girl.

"For fucks sake would you stop?" I growl bitterly. They know exactly why they need to stop. The girl jumped at the sound of my voice and turned towards me, shaking.

Shit, did I scare her?

Don't look at her. Don't look at her.

Hurriedly, she gripped her books from Levi's arms and scurried off.

"Did you really have to do that?" Luke muttered. I don't answer. Instead, I turn again and trudge towards the doors. They should know better. I shouldn't have to spell things like this out for them.

"Have you seen that girl, bro?"

I grit my teeth. Jason Queen. The knife I keep on me burned a hole in my pocket. My hands tingle to disfigure his face. He's doing it again. Talking about a girl in a way he shouldn't be.

I clench my fists so hard my fingernails dig into my palms and my knuckles pop. Do not hit him, Remo. You don't need to get suspended again. God knows what that little fucker will do if I punch him again. Tell his father about me? Probably. Spoiled little brat.

When we reached my car, I drop the keys into Gabriel's hands and slip into the passenger seat. I'm way too tired to do anything. Resting my head against the seat, I let my thoughts swim through my head.

Life didn't come easy for me. Everything is a risk. Every friendship, every relationship. They're watching every move I make. They know everything. And if they don't, they'll find out. I've got to know who to trust. Who to keep at arm's length and who to push away.

I tried pushing away Gabriel, Luke, and Levi but that didn't work out as planned. Maybe this time, something will.

I have to keep her away. Away from Gabriel, away from Luke, and away from Levi. Away from me. From what we do. It's a risk I'm not willing to take.

❦︎