i.

CHAPTER ONE,
LOVELY, LONELY.

VERONA MACAULAY CAN always be found smiling.

She had the kind of smile that was blinding, nearly as bright as the sun itself. With golden curls that framed her face like a halo, Verona best resembled the very princesses she'd read about in those muggle books she'd buy whenever she was back at home. Not only did she look the part but she most definitely acted the part too. She was always kind, willing to help out anyone at Hogwarts despite their social status or house. Some said she would have fit much more at Hufflepuff, the girl incredibly kind.

She was as intelligent as she was kind, of course. Having some of the most impeccable marks out of her entire grade, Verona was simply the smartest witch of her age. She was trained to be the very best - more specifically, the most intelligent. From a young age, Verona would have her nose stuck in a book - a wand usually in her free hand. Magic and spells and potions were all things that fascinated her, the girl wanting to learn more and more as she got older. Even when her overbearing parents nearly ruined it for her, making her study all the time - Verona still saw beauty in magic. There was good in it, a light that shone through the darkness threatening to swallow Verona whole. Magic was ultimately what kept her going even when she felt less than perfect, less than the happy girl she usually always seemed to be.

Verona isn't sure how much longer she could fight the darkness however.

The girl's used to the same old routine that came with school. Hogwarts used to be her escape when it came to her parents. It'd be her time to get away and be surrounded by magic. But lately, it had become her prison too. She felt as though she had to hold up some incredibly high standard, her friends and class mates all seeing her as this little perfectionist. And for a long time, Verona had no choice but to be just that. She didn't have any room to be anything but less than perfection, often feeling closed in by her own self-built walls. Verona thought that pain was the worst feeling. But she would be proven wrong soon enough, there was nothing worst than the feeling of drowning only for no one to even care enough to pay attention.