Sixteen

Isa

"Isa wake up." I heard Ahsha say. "Man, go away." I groaned. It fell quiet for a while until I felt a hard smack on my cheek. "Wake up." I heard Ahsha bark. I turned to see my sister looking down at me. "What happened?" I asked. "I didn't mean to scare you two." I turned to see my face staring back at me. I looked at my sister and she nodded her head. "What are we doing here?" I asked Ahsha. She looked at our dad. "I wish I had gotten the chance to physically be there for you both growing up." Our father said looking at us. I glanced down at Ahsha when I heard her sniff. "But I want you two both to know I never left either of you. I was always there." He said. I found myself fighting back tears the more he spoke.

"I wish we would have gotten more time to spend together. I would have told you both about what our family was and our history." He began. "What is our family?" Ahsha asked.

He went and sat in the grass before he looked over his shoulder. "Come. Sit." He said. Without skipping a beat Ahsha went to join him. "Isa?" She called looking at me. "After everything you've seen I'm the one thing you're skeptical of?" Our dad asked looking at me. "You want to know why all this stuff is happening to us this could be the answer. You have to hear him out." Ahsha said. I nodded my head. "Okay."

Malik

The Saleem's and I were looking at Isaac and Ahsha's sleeping forms as we tried to figure out what was going on. I was on the phone with my father explaining everything that had happened. "Isaac saw his father before they both passed out," I said. "Where are they now?" He asked. "Sleeping. They haven't woken up yet. It's been 30 minutes." I said. He sighed. "Malik, I don't know. I've never dealt with anything like this family before." He said. I washed my hand over my face growing annoyed and feeling Ares becoming agitated.

"This may have nothing to do with you and everything to do with their family." He added. "I'll ask your grandfather if he may know anything." He said. "No, I don't want him involved. I'll handle it." I said before hanging up. I sighed sensing Ali standing behind me. "What about this family?" Ali asked. "It's not this family, it's her family," I said turning looking at Mia. "My family?" She questioned. "Did you know who your husband's family was when you married him?" I asked. "He told me what he was—" "I don't mean Ali. Your first husband did you know what he was. Who his family was?" I asked.

Ahsha

"A high priestess?" I said. "Yes, my mother, your grandmother, and hers and so forth were all high priestesses." My dad said. I looked at him with wide eyes. "Decades ago, your grandma Marie in order to save her husband your grandfather she made a deal with Alwahsh, Malik's grandfather." "Oh hell... I mean crap." Isa said looking at me. "What happened?" Isa asked. "Her 4x great-granddaughter would be mated to his eldest grandson." He said looking at me. I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. "I don't know the detail of the deal but it's big." My dad explained.

I then remembered what my grandmother said about not being able to tell me everything. "Did Malik know any of this?" I asked. "He knows partially of our family's history but not about the deal." He explained. Our dad turned to look at Isa. "Because the women in my family are the only ones who can be high priestesses the men were destined to be their protectors." He said looking at Isa. "Because you two are twins you two share a piece of each other. Isa, you've probably felt like you need to protect your sister more as you've gotten older." He sighed taking a pause. "I'm sure as you two have gotten older you've found yourself unconsciously being overprotective of Ahsha." He said looking at Isa who nodded his head. "Are you saying I will get powers?" I asked. He chuckled. "Yes. On your 18th birthday you will get your powers, you both will." He said. "Both?" Isa said. "Yes. The most common power for protectors is strength and some are even given the power of resurgence." He said to Isa.