This Is What You Want

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Marlena, gah, thank god your powers are on a little...hiatus, I guess, otherwise you would've caught me there in the hall," Tony started with a nervous chuckle. "Anyway, this is the third video I've made today and I'm pretty tired, so I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

"I just have to start off by saying the last ten years with you in my life have been more important to me than you know. You were this sweet, annoying little teenager that didn't take my shit half the time and I've always secretly admired that about you. We've definitely had our fair share of differences, some often worse than others, but I like to think that's just our relationship. I've watched you grow into this strong and determined young woman who's only weakness is now the fear of losing the people you love. Hell, you've even turned that into a strength. The way you've fought for your family—the way you've fought for the Avengers—there's a lot to be said about someone like you, Marlena Claire."

"There's a lot to be said about someone like you, too, Tony Stark," Marlena spoke quietly as the warm tears flowed down her face.

"Maybe I'm getting too sentimental, but who cares? You only live once, right?" Tony exhaled quietly and looked at the camera. "That's kinda the reason I'm recording this? Maybe I get out of this alive or maybe I don't. Yeah, staying alive would be awesome, but I've had to come to terms with the fact this could very well be the endgame for me, and I don't wanna take a chance in not letting the people I care most about know exactly how I feel about them. You're just one of few, and I'd like to think that means something to you."

"It means so much more to me than you'll ever know." Marlena knew Tony couldn't hear her—he was gone—but sitting there interacting with the strange, holographic version of him made her feel almost as if he was standing right there with her. She only wished he was truly there for her.

"I gotta say I'm incredibly proud of you, Marlena." There was a certain light in his brown eyes that let Marlena know he was being nothing but sincere. "You've become everything I thought you'd be."

"Yeah, well you had quite a hand in that as well," Marlena chuckled quietly, and it was nothing more than the truth. Bucky Barnes had always been responsible for helping Marlena discover who she truly was. Steve Rogers was responsible for helping Marlena make sure she didn't forget who she was. Tony Stark, however, was responsible for helping Marlena accept who she was. A catastrophe, yes, but a beautiful one.

"That's the reason I know it'll be okay for me to drop a few truth bombs on you." Tony sighed and ran a hand over his face. "Now, don't be angry with me, but this is something I kept from you to protect you; all I've done for years is try to protect you."

Tony shook his head and laughed quietly to himself. "I'm getting sentimental again, wow, okay, back to the matter at hand. Are you sitting down? I need you to sit down for this. Wouldn't want you to go into spontaneous labor."