Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Seven - "Beep."

The next morning, I wake up to forty one messages, twenty three missed calls and seventeen voicemails.

At first, I think they're all from Cara. Perhaps somehow she found out about Nate and I going on our date and she called to ask me about the details. But when I check my phone and scroll through my notifications, I realize they were not from her.

They were from mom and dad.

If my parents have spent their precious time trying to call me, it means that all hell has broken loose.

I bolt out from my bed and head straight to the bathroom. After taking a super quick shower, I slip into a tank top and some shorts before heading down the stairs with my car keys and my phone. I scan the entire room. There is no sign my parents even came home yesterday. Even though that is a normal occurrence, it doesn't stop me from having this sickening feeling in my stomach.

As I quickly search for something decent to eat in the kitchen, I listen to some of mom and dad's voicemails.

"There's something we need to tell you, Alexandria. It's urgent."

Beep.

"Come to the office quickly. Please hurry."

Beep.

"Please get over here as soon as you can."

Beep.

I stuff a creamy donut into my mouth before fleeing the house. The sounds of my parents' worried voices fill my mind. I wonder what has happened that needed to involve me.

My thoughts race over the possibilities. My dad needing to step down as CEO, one of their major construction projects falling through, some kind of acquisition or merger with another company? 

Oh god, I hope it's not financial troubles.

I get into the car and start to drive.

My baby is going so much faster than it should be. I almost run into a traffic light, and almost hit a random passerby trying to cross the road. And I'm quite surprised I didn't get pulled over for going waaaay over the speed limit.

When I finally reach Woods and Co headquarters, I park my car a few blocks away to avoid having to find parking in the building. After shutting the car door, I start to run. I make my way through the main entrance of the building and head straight for the concierge, ignoring all the businessmen darting back and forth the building in a frenzy.

"Hi," I say, completely out of breath.

The woman behind the desk appears to be raging over the phone, her hands flying around in exaggeration.

"I don't know! I thought so too, but they already announced it," The woman speaks, completely ignoring me. She flips her hair to the side and continues to talk to the person on the other line. "They said there were sorting things out, but who knows what else Mr. And Mrs. Woods can do about it."

"Excuse me!" I say, this time a little bit louder. The woman's eyes briefly meet mine, but she still doesn't put down her phone. She continues her conversation, this time speaking in hushed tones.

"Oh for Christ sake," I mutter. I reach over the desk and pull the phone out of her grasp. The woman looks at me with pure shock. I don't think she thinks I would ever do that. But honestly, I don't care what she thinks now. I need to get to my parents ASAP. "Good. Now I got your attention."

She glares at me, and for a second there, I think she's going to hit me. But fortunately, she doesn't. "What the hell do you want, girl?"

I grit my teeth. "I'm here to see my parents. John and Margaret Woods."