Lead the Way, Soldier

Marlena stood under the dim light of the corridor, her eyes on nothing else but the man standing in front of her. There were so many questions running through her head, though she wasn't sure she'd be able to find their answers, at least not at the moment. She was more concerned with finding an escape from the haunted prison she'd been fated to, but she couldn't seem to help the happiness that flowed through her veins knowing the first man she'd ever loved—the man she thought she'd lost at the young age of eleven—was truly alive and well. Granted, she'd accepted her father's demise long ago, but the feeling of missing him was one that continued to linger for the better part of two decades. To see him again warmed her aching heart, and that was a feeling she would not question or fight.

Without another word, Marlena closed the distance between her and her father, hugging him as tightly as she could manage. Her eyes began to well with tears as a result of their embrace, and she was reminded of just how much she truly missed being able to find comfort wrapped in his arms.

"Hi, sweetheart." James pulled away from Marlena and smiled softly once he met her eyes. He shed a few tears, not because he was sad, but because he was seeing his daughter for the first time in years. He'd spent so many years missing Marlena, Mason, and Miranda, so to be reunited with at least one of them was enough to bring him so much happiness.

"What are you—? What—?" Marlena was at a loss for words. She never anticipated seeing her father again, but there he was standing in front of her as if the last 21 years hadn't happened.

"Spit it out, honey," James laughed.

"Alena said you were in cryo?"

James shrugged his shoulders. "Off and on. This just so happens to be one of those 'off' times."

Marlena wiped away several of her tears. "I've missed you so much, daddy."

"I've missed you, too, Marlena," he replied, his smile never faltering. "From what I've heard, you're married with twins now."

"Yes and no," Marlena frowned as her thoughts began to linger on Steve. She longed to return to him. "I was married, then widowed, and now I'm engaged again."

"To who?" James cocked a brow. "Last time I was out, Alena told me you married Bucky Barnes. I remember that, because I remember how uncomfortable she was talking about it."

"How long has it been since you've been out, dad?"

"Six years."

Marlena let out a breath and shook her head. "I did marry Bucky, but then something happened that took him away from me, and now I'm engaged to Steve."

"Steve?" James's eyes grew wide at the sound of the name. "As in Steve Rogers?"

"Steve as in Steve Rogers, dad," she confirmed with a smile, though it faded quickly when she remembered what Alena had done. "But Alena—she's trying to ruin everything."

"What do you mean?"

"She locked me up here, and for some sick and twisted reason decided I was the only way she could find a life outside of Hydra," Marlena answered him, anger once again flooding through her body as she thought over the words she was about to say. "Before trying to kill me, Kellan told me she managed to successfully secure her place in my life. I don't know what that means in regards to my relationships with Steve or Bucky, but I don't wanna wait to find out."

James bit his lip and ran a hand through his hair as he looked over Marlena's tearful expression. If there was one thing he remembered about his life before Alena came into the picture, it was that he absolutely hated seeing tears in either one of his girls' eyes, and as he stood there watching Marlena, he knew that wouldn't be changing any time soon.