Chapter Nine

~*~

~*~

He's avoiding her.

He's been avoiding her the past week or so. Actually, he's been avoiding her ever since she recovered.  Always distracted with the child, or training the villagers. He's a man of few words, she knew this, but for a week?

What changed? She frowns, as she tries to recall what had happened the last few days. Besides getting shot at, she really can't think of anything she could have done to upset him. And it's frustrating and confusing her to the point where the back of her mind's been nagging her that she really did something wrong.

So when she notices him enter the barn with the child sleeping in his arms, she decides to confront him. Only to stop in her tracks, when Omera comes by, carrying a plate of food inside.

"Hi, Omera," she greets Omera with hesitance. She really shouldn't be acting this way, especially when Omera's been nothing but nice to her.

"Hello again," Omera greets her back with a small smile. "I thought I told you to stay in bed so your wound could heal."

"Blame Mando," she's quick to point fingers. "He's the one who made the suggestion that I was well enough to walk around."

"He's very reckless," Omera laughs, "especially with the little boy."

"Trust me, he has no idea how to handle the kid," Dessa laughs with her. "then again I'm not any better with it than he is."

"If you two need any help learning how to raise a child, I'd be happy to help you," Omera insists.

"What!?" Dessa's taken aback, and laughs breathlessly. "Oh no, no, no, you got it all wrong, it's not our kid. It's more his kid than mine. I mean it's  technically not even his kid either --"

"I'm afraid I don't understand," Omera raises her brows, and has a befuddled expression on her face. And truth be told, she doesn't even understand the strange situation herself.

"It's complicated?" Dessa offers sheepishly once her embarrassment dies down.

"I see," Omera replies, but she had a feeling the woman still didn't understand, judging from the confusion in her tone.

They both turn at the sound of children laughing, and splashing around in the river. Dessa smiles weakly at them, and stiffens. Despite the fact that Raiders are destroying the village, these children are few of the lucky ones who still get to be a child for a little while. They still had family to look after them.