46. torture

Unless you like mild BDSM... this chapter may not be your fave. But I think you should read it anyway, just skip some lines when it starts.

I'm hugging the pillow close to my chest as I lay on the blanket in the corner of the room

I'm hugging the pillow close to my chest as I lay on the blanket in the corner of the room. The floor is freezing and my whole body is shaking. It's likely a mix of the coldness and the emotions.

I want him dead. And I want him dead at this instant.

The door creaks as it opens slowly, making my eyebrows furrow. A small hand grabs the other side of the door and in tumbles Daniella. She puts her small hands on the door and pushes it closed. A smile spreads on my face at the sight, her presence is all it takes for me to lighten up.

"Brae Brae?" I hear her small shaky voice say. It's dark in the room, only a candle on Nico's desk is lit. I sit up and try to hold my shakes back as I look at her.

"I'm here Daniella," I say as I turn a small light on next to me, making her snap her head to me. She smiles a wide smile as she runs up the step and right into my arms. I let out a groan as she slams into my chest, but it's worth it as she wraps her small arms around my neck.

"I heard what that mean man did in the food room. I was on my way there to meet you and Uncle Cola but dad didn't let me enter after the loud bang." She says as she hugs me, her voice is rushed as if she's afraid I'll ask her to leave if she doesn't talk fast enough. I chuckle a little and pull away from our hug, holding her small hands in between my palms.

"That's very sweet of you. Your father was smart, it wasn't a place for you at that time I'm afraid. How about we eat dinner together once the mean man has left?" I ask her, my blood almost boiling at the thought of Lorenzo. She smiles widely, showing me she's lost another baby tooth. She looks adorable with her brown hair in pigtails, I've missed her cute self.

"Yes! Can we bake chocolate balls?" She asks me excitedly. This is why I love her.

"We can make as many as you want," I say with a warm smile. She giggles happily and jumps a little. My smile doesn't falter as she stands in front of me, talking about how she and James played chess today. According to her, she won, specifically by her newfound weapon the flying horse attacking James' king. He wasn't allowed to say anything, because in the chess world Daniella was the queen, and she could do whatever she wanted.

"And I also tried mustard on a sandwich." She says with a grimace. It looks as if she's just squirted a cup of lemon juice into her mouth. "I like mayonnaise more.." she says with a small frown.

I laugh with her as I hug her again. She gladly complies and wraps her arms around me. I'm happy she came here, she's giving me an easy reason not to think about what Hannah told me. About him...

"I agree with you. I don't like mustard at all." I say and smile to her. She smiles widely back and just now she realizes where we're stationed.

"Why are you on the floor? Uncle Cola's bed is right there," she points to the bed. "Do you need help getting there? Come on I can show you the way." She says in her small helpful way, holding a hand out to me. I grin at her and shake my head, grabbing her hand and shaking it a little.