12

"He's right." Hermione sobbed as Alexandra crouched in front of her, comfortingly. "I don't have any friends. No one can stand me."

"I'm very offended. I thought we were friends. Or at least, as close to friends as I will allow, which is really about me and not you. Hermione Jean Granger. Ron is an idiotic git who is not worth your tears."

"He's your brother. You're not supposed to say that."

"Well it's the truth. Am I supposed to lie to you? Because, really, I'd rather insult him."

"Why haven't you hexed me away? You obviously find me irritating."

"I find everyone irritating. I don't find you irritating. You're more of a mild nuisance."

"You don't even like me."

"If I didn't like you, I wouldn't be here convincing you Ron is a wanker." Hermione couldn't help but laugh but her laugh turned into a sob and she started crying. Alexandra leaned over to hug her.

"I thought Hogwarts would be different. Back in my muggle school, people hated me. They always called me teacher's unwanted pet because not even the teachers liked me. So when I found out I was a witch, I thought it'd be a new start." Hermione sobbed into Alexandra's shoulder. "What's wrong with me?"

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. I, for one, am glad you're here. You're a really good person. Besides, if you were a boring muggle, whose nose would I tickle with a levitating feather?"

"You'd find someone." Hermione shrugged.

"No, I'd probably mess with other people's feathers, make it go the other way. You're the only nose I'd tickle." She assured.

"Why are you being nice to me? You're usually mean. Ish. You try to be mean, at least."

"I thought if I came to Hogwarts, I'd be this totally unapproachable person. That it'd be easy to not make friends, to not be friendly. It's harder than I realised."

"Why don't you want friends?"

"I've got darkness in me and around me. I'm not a good person, and it's not fair if I put that on other people. You, however, just won't quit. Now, you wanna go get some fresh air? Wash your face."

"I think I want to stay here and wallow for a little bit."

"Then I'll wallow right beside you."

"How comes you're not going to class?" Hermione asked. "You didn't go with the Hufflepuffs earlier."

"I don't go to DADA. I get lessons with professor Snape instead."

"Why?"

"That's a long story." Alexandra shrugged.

"We have time."

"Quirrell creeps me out, is all. Professor Dumbledore heard and said I could get extra lessons with Snape."

"Isn't professor Snape worse?"

"No." Alexandra said.

"Professor Snape thinks I'm a know-it-all." Hermione said.

"I think you're a know-it-all too. What's wrong with bring a know-it-all? Being clever and right means you'd be the most useful person in a crisis."

"But not in school."

"Even in school. If I had to do a group project, I'd want you on my side. Better you than an incompetent wizard like Ron." Hermione's eyes were welling up with tears and Alexandra pulled her in for another hug, and soothed her.