3.2 - Night - Walk

Lucy's POV

It's been a few days since my date with Niall. To say that I miss him is an understatement. But I'm so angry at myself for having those feelings. I know better than that. Nothing good will ever come out of this! Relationships always end. And it always hurt. It's not worth it. Even if he makes me feel so good and I'm always happy and free around him.

I'm out in the city right now. I was supposed to be buying everyone some gifts, yes I know I'm late. But all the shops were so crowded that I just gave up. So instead I chose to walk around in the cold. I stop at a coffee shop, get a hot chocolate to-go and then continue walking until I stop on the side of the road, just watching over the Thames. I lose myself in my thoughts. Barely even conscious of what I'm thinking of... If that makes sense. Until I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and to my surprise it's Niall.

'Hey! Your coat gave you away. Had to check if it's really you.' He chuckles nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. 'It's really nice to see you, Luce.'

'Nice to see you too! I was worried I wouldn't hear from you again.'

'Please. After the evening we had? Not a chance of that happening. I just got wrapped up in some things.'

'Oh, I'm sorry...'

'What are you doing here?' He asks me.

'Was supposed to be doing my last-minute Christmas shopping. I'm late on the gifts.'

'Didn't find anything you like?' He asks, looking around me.

'Didn't look. Too many people for my liking. I don't like overly crowded places and long waiting lines.'

'Yeah, I get it. You could always do them online. Or, I can come with you and then maybe you'd forget about everyone else since you'd be too busy talking with me. What do you think?'

'It's okay. It's getting a little late for shopping tonight. But thanks.'

'Alright. But still doesn't answer my question. What are you doing here?'

'Was just on a walk. Then somehow found myself in this spot. I always end up here. I like looking at the water. And you can see everything from here. It's beautiful.'

'It is.' He says, smiling fondly while running his hand through my hair.

'What about you?' I ask him.

'I've been growing this habit of going out at this time of night, just before dinner, and just walk around. I've been feeling a little... Overwhelmed, lately? Walking helps. Earbuds on, favourite music on...'

'Therapeutic isn't it?'

'Yeah! It kinda is.'

'So... umm, do you want to walk together, or stay here with me? Or do you have to go?'

'No, I think I'll stay. We can walk around in a bit if you want to.'

'Yeah! And if you don't have any plans... Since you mentioned dinner...' I say playfully.

He laughs and says, 'I know the perfect place!'

We sit on the now-empty bench, and I stare straight ahead as he puts his arm around my shoulders.

'What have you been up to lately?' He asks.

'Nothing too interesting. Outside of the usual routine, nothing. Spent a few hours rearranging my kitchen drawers looking for my mom's recipes.' I answer without moving my head or looking at him at all.