Chapter 17: Nightmare

**Important Author's Note at the end*

---------

A picture of Aaron making a silly face at the camera takes up my screen as I open the snap from him, and I read the text above his face.

You know I'm right.

I smile as I tap my screen to close the picture, and double tap to reply.

I make a 'yeah, right' face at the camera, and tap the button to add text.

Whatever you say, buddy.

I send it and look up across the cafeteria to watch Aaron's face as he sees it.

A smile gradually grows on his face, ending in a huge grin, which causes a smile to grow on my face, too.

He looks up to meet my eyes, and he mouths the words, I do say.

A tap on my shoulder prevents me from replying to Aaron's childish nonsense.

"What are you doing?" Gabs asks with clear annoyance in her tone.

I blink at her. "Nothing," I say before I turn look back down at the lunch table.

My phone vibrates on my lap and I unlock it to see another snap from Aaron, which is a picture of him pouting.

Why won't you sit with me again?

I roll my eyes as I take a picture of myself with a blank face.

Because I don't want to.

This time it's a text message.

Dumbass: why not?

Me: because I don't want to

Dumbass: yes but why not

I ignore him and roll my eyes.

Despite what I told Aaron, I do want to sit with him; anything is better than sitting here with Gabs, who's been on her phone the whole time, and Gracie, who hasn't been talking.

A body plopping down next to mine makes me jump a little bit out of surprise, and I look to my right to see Jacob smiling at me.

"Hey, Jakey," I say, smiling at him. "How's your day been?"

He lets out a groan. "I'm too dumb for school."

I laugh at him. "I doubt that."

He laughs too before looking down at the empty table in front of me. "You're not eating?"

I shake my head. "I didn't bring any money today." The swear jar really robs me of my funds. "And we don't normally have any good food in my house, which is why I didn't bring a lunch."

"Sounds tough," he says. "Do you want to share?" He pushes his tray of food, which contains french fries and chicken nuggets, towards me.

"No," I automatically decline. "No, it's alright. I'll be fine."

"C'mon," he insists. "I don't mind sharing and it's not like I'm going to eat all of this anyways."

I hesitate, and he sighs before he picks up a fry and holds it in front of my mouth. "Open up."

"What?"

"Open your mouth, Cass."

Why do I surround myself with the weirdest people?

"Maybe you really are too dumb for school."

He gives me a blank look before moving the fry closer towards my mouth. "Just open your mouth already."