~ 26 ~

~ Chapter Twenty Six ~

For the next three days, Ruby has been ignoring me. She only speaks to me when she needs to let me know what my chores are. Then she runs off to avoid me further.

I don't think anyone cared enough to notice our strained friendship. Which I'm thankful for because I didn't know what to say if they would ask.

I'm also thankful that Ruby hasn't said a word about our conversation to anyone. Especially Libelle or Xenon. I'd be dead by now if they knew.

Right now, I was in search of her. I didn't know if I'm able to patch things up with her, but I do want to apologize. The only reason I haven't done so was because she didn't give me a chance. However, not today. I won't let her leave and I will make her listen to my apology. She doesn't know how horrible I've been feeling for the last three days. All I can think about is her hurt looking face.

In the distance, I saw Kaene and Zander talking to one another. Maybe they know where Ruby is.

As I neared them, I remembered what Libelle told me. I can choose the loser to surrender and forfeit when they can't handle the fight. But as I watched them speaking to one another, I can't help but wonder what happens after. Like will their friendship remain? Or will they never speak to each other again?

"Kaida, what do you need?"

Kaene went straight to the point as I stopped in front of them. He could be the perfect prince if he learned to be charming. Unfortunately, he has a foul personality.

Nonetheless I smiled politely. "Have you two seen Ruby? I'm looking for her."

Zander nodded and pointed towards the cave. "She mentioned something about cleaning the library."

I smiled at him, a genuine one. "Thanks."

Kaene rolled his eyes. But thankfully remained silent as I walked away. I'm glad he didn't give me a sarcastic remark of some sort. I didn't have the patience to deal with him. I'm too concerned over how I should approach Ruby.

Should I just start by apologizing or should I warm her up first? Never have I ever found myself in such a predicament. Whenever my friends and I ended up fighting, we somehow wound up forgetting about it and being as close as ever.

Unfortunately, Ruby isn't like my old friends. She's a dragon who, if angry enough, can eat me alive.

After ten minutes of searching for the library, I finally found it. I only had to ask for directions three times from random dragons walking by.

I didn't bother knocking and just opened the door. Inside, large book cases were lined up horizontally. I took a right and quietly walked by as I admired the scrolls and books piled sided by side. It's the first time seeing the library. It's not as different as the libraries I knew. Just large and outdated.

Suddenly I heard a loud thump and giggling coming from the other side of the book case.

I crept forward and rounded the corner. My hands went straight to my widened eyes as I shrieked.

In front of me, Ruby was on her knees working her hands on Landon's happy  member. Which was openly exposed since he had his pants dropped all the way down to his ankles. Ruby's top had been pushed down to her hips. And I assumed easily since it was a strapless.

Gosh I wish I had never seen that entire image. My virgin eyes are scarred for life.

I heard some clothes rustling around before I heard Ruby giving me the all clear.

I lowered my hands and awkwardly walked a bit closer to them. "Sorry for.. Uh.. Interrupting. I just.. Needed to speak with Ruby."

Landon nodded. "Yea.. Uh. I'll see you two around."

I'm pretty sure Landon ran off in embarrassment. Just what I want to be doing as well.

Ruby patted her hair down and tucked a few red strands behind her ears. "What is it?"

"Ruby, I'm sorry for interrupting... And for what I said in our last conversation. I was rude."

Ruby sighed. "I'm sorry too. For not understanding your feelings. You really want to go home. I get it. I'd be desperate too if I was away from everyone I cared about."

I timidly smiled up at her. "So we're okay now?"

Ruby shook her head, making my smile fall. "I don't want to get close to you any more than I already have. It'll just hurt for when you leave."

"Leave?"

Both Ruby and I turned in surprise. From around the corner of the book case, Zander came out.

"Kaida's leaving? Where to?" He asked.

Ruby looked at me with worry but remained silent.

I stared up into Zander's dark chocolate eyes. "I told Ruby about the conversation I had with the siren."

Zander rubbed his face in stress. While Ruby said, "Wait he knows?"

I nodded at her.

"Kaida, it's a trap. There's no way she was telling the truth."

I turned back to Zander, anger finally bubbling and rising inside of me. "It's a risk I'm willing to take! Listen Zander, you're nice. And so is Ruby. But I'm not like the both of you. Dragons and strong fighters."

Ruby chuckled. "Kaida I'm not a fighter."

I rolled my eyes. "Libelle had told me that every dragon is classically trained to defend themselves. I don't know anything about fighting or defending myself. I'm a run and hide kind of gal." I sighed. "The point is, I don't belong here. I'm different."

Zander took a hold of my right hand. "Your difference is what makes you unique. Strong dragons take a sense of pride when they are needed and dependent on by someone. I want you to depend on me to protect you. No other female dragon would all that from me."

Ruby scoffed. "Is that why you held out on getting a mate? Unbelievable... Wait. Does every man here think the same?"

"Not everyone, but some males do have similar thoughts."

"Even... Landon?"

With confusion written on his face, he responded. "I don't really know. He likes the freedom of being with many women."

Ruby crossed her arms angrily. "I see."

Zander looked back at me. "Anyway, if you really want to take the risk... Then I'll help you."

I widened my eyes. "Really?!"

He nodded solemnly. "I'd be miserable too if I was away from home."

Happy tears spilled out of my eyes as I jumped to give him a hug. I kept my eyes closed and smelled his natural scent. He hugged me back, just as tight. Enough to feel his soft muscles rippling in movement.

This actually felt nice.

Ruby suddenly started clapping, ruining our small moment. Zander and I broke apart and stared at her.

"There's a problem. This water ring. If it really exists, where do we find it?"

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 12/23/19

Not going to spoil anything... But it's gonna get goooood.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their holidays 😊💕

Vote & Comment!