Activity Log 20: Apology Interrupted

3rd POV
Aahh, this feels nice.”, Eli said under his breath, holding an ice pack over his ribs. Mary on the other hand was putting more ice in another ice pack for his shoulder. “Ya sure did take quite a tumble back there. How on Earth did you not fly out? Or in other case, die?”, she asked, lightly putting the newly filled ice pack on his shoulder. He squirmed from the sudden cold, making him slightly jump. She apologized.

Mary then turned her attention to the 7 foot female coyote standing by a door with a sign that said, “ANNOUNCER ONLY”.

“I still can’t BELIEVE that stubborn wolf…!”, said the voice behind the door. It then opened to reveal what seemed to be a short corgi humanoid holding a metal staff, just not using it as a walking stick. “Is the jackass up yet? Cuz if he is, I’m gonna shove this thing RIGHT UP HI- Oh, hiya, there!”, she put down her staff, turning her attention to the fox and cat. They replied waving. “Some race, huh? Don’t worry about the damages. It’s what the audiences came for, anyway. Plus, got your sick ride in here for you to fix it right back up, but I’ll be glad to help you!”, she added.

Eli got up slow, holding his side. “Thank you, but that won’t be necessary. Keep it. You could use it for spare parts or something. I have my resources.”, he said gently. She shot up, wagging her tail as her eyes widened after hearing what he said. “WHAT?!”, she exclaimed. “Y-You built this! You’ve put your heart and soul building this… This…! MASTERPIECE!!!”, she stomped the concrete floor. Eli just stood there, smiling and chuckling from every word she said.

“No, I didn’t put my heart and soul into building this. Sure, it drove like a masterpiece, but it no longer does. I even built this in one night, thanks to the spare parts I have.”, Eli said truthfully, sitting back down next to Mary, letting her readjust his bandages. The small corgi had her eyebrows twitching after hearing Eli that he built his car in one night. She approached him and grabbed him by the cheeks, squeezing his face. “HOOOOWWWW?”, she asked dramatically. Mary separated the corgi's two forcefull hands off of Eli, letting him heal in peace.

He rubbed his cheeks until answering, “Like I said, resources. In the facility.”

“The one on top of that huge hill?”, the corgi asked.

“Well, now that Ah think of it, it’s more of a butte rather than a hill”, Mary butted in.

Out of nowhere, the still unconscious wolf muttered, “Mmm~ Butt~”, wagging his tail. Mary heard this and delivered a swift kick in his groin. He wakes up, curling up into a ball, rolling off of the crate he was resting on, finally meeting his face with the cold concrete floor. “WHAT THE FUCK?!”, he groaned while raising his voice, struggling to get up. She grabbed her gun, flipping it to make the butt of the gun face him and started hitting him over and over. “The race! That’s the fuck! This wouldn’t have happened if you weren’t so fuckin selfish!!”, she began tearing up again as her attack is starting to get slower, finally coming to a stop.

“It’s always like this with you…! You keep acting like some sort of big hot shot like as if you need to prove yourself every now and then... I always knew that one day, just one day, that someone could prove that they’re better than you, just so you could stop.”, she said softly, putting her gun back into the holster and sitting back down. She sighed and rubbed her temples, wanting to get rid of her headache.

Max just stood in front of her, wanting to say something, only this time, from the bottom of his heart.

CRASH!!!

The glass ceiling of the garage shattered into sand sized bits. Max’s reflexes caused him to jump onto Mary, in order to save her from the unknown threat. Eli hid behind a pillar while the big female coyote grabbed the corgi and hid behind a box. A white figure jumped down from the now open ceiling with an assault rifle in their hands while their face was covered by a mask.

I’m looking for a fox! 7”2’, two black check marks on each side of the face, and lived in the facility on that butte! If you don’t surrender him to me, I will not hesitate to shoot!”, they demanded and warned. Their voice seemed as if it was altered to protect their identity. Max slowly got up while Mary struggled to stop him. “He’s not here. You got the wrong place.”, he lied. Mary looked up to him, wondering what he’s doing. Why is he doing it. The unknown hostile slowly walked closer to Max, still holding the AR.

You’re lying. I saw him a split second when I jumped down. His fur was saturated enough to separate him from the concrete. Now stop stalling and tell me where he is or I will shoot you!”, they threatened. Out of nowhere, a wooden box was thrown at the hostile from behind, causing them to discombobulate as they’re on their knees, struggling to get back up from the impact. The scattered shards of wood and package stuffing filled the air around the hostile making the scene more dramatic.

However, they were still holding the gun, so Max took out his revolver from the race and shot the AR, breaking it as it tore a hole in it. Eli jumped onto the hostile, trying to put them in a lock.
Unfortunately, the hostile was too strong to be held in a lock. Eli struggled trying to get his legs around their arms and torso, but they kept squirming. Max jumped on top of them and started punching the hostile in the face, but it didn’t take long until they lost consciousness after a few more hits, cracking the mask. The two canines panted from exhaustion, catching up their breaths. They both looked at each other for a moment, finally chuckling from the situation they were put.

“Great idea trying to put em in a lock! Heh, betcha use it all the time.”, Max complimented. Eli grabbed a rope that was lying around the floor, tying the hostile to prevent them from escaping. He looked back at Max, “Couldn’t have succeeded if it weren’t for your help. I guess that’s one way to punch some sense into someone, huh?”, he chuckled. The corgi finally got out of the coyote's protection and looked at the aftermath. Fortunately, sighed in relief. “You two couldn’t settle your differences in the track but succeeded by fighting together? Well, ain’t that the formula of friendship?”, she guessed, scratching her head with her staff.

“Anyway, I don’t think we’ve introduced ourselves yet. My name’s Moira Mecha, the announcer of Derby, Dines, and Dash. This hunk behind me is Rae Cleo, the muscle in my establishment.”, she introduced. Eli nodded respectfully at them and revert his attention back to the unconscious trespasser. His left ear twitched a bit, then turned to the others. “We need a safer place to interrogate them. Who are they, what organization do they work for, basically important intel we can get from them.”, Eli suggested. “Why don’t we just end the fucker right here, right now?”, Max approached them, pulling out his revolver until Eli caught his arm, stopping him, giving him a serious look.

“Max, you have to think this through. If we get the necessary intel from them, we could find the source, who they’re working for. To stop this sort of violence from spreading whoever knows which area. You saw what they were carrying.”, he let go. “That gun wasn’t from the facility’s armory. Korra scanned it and had armour piercing bullets. Anything like that could go through both of our cars' bodywork.”, he added.

Max frowned, crosses his arms facing Eli. “So your ghost gal could scan shit and just tell you what they could do? Was that the reason why you won the fuckin race??”, he then pushed him. Mary tried to intervene, only to be held back by Rae, shaking her head at her. “No, I wanted a fair race, and I had my available resources to make that car, and now it’s broken. Now being used as scraps, yet I find that rather a win instead, because I don’t need it everyday to get from A to B. I don’t need everything the facility provides.”, he explained further, only then to get his collar pulled by Max.

“Then why don’t you just hand them over, huh?! You said you don’t need most of it, then go ahead and throw that shit out!”
“I need to trust whoever's hands are on! I’ve only been here less than a week and I already know the type of environment it shows. It’s a fucking wasteland you people live in and I wanted to do something to help!!! The constant battle for resources, currency, healthcare, all of which that only I possess! But do I trust these people? I don’t know! I’m still not sure who to trust and who worry!”, he explained thoroughly.

For some reason, everyone else started looking at him worryingly, stuttering, trying to tell him something. Their gaze that showed shock, he started wondering why they’re all doing that. He then heard something dripping beneath him, that’s when he started looking down to find a blade going through his stomach, coming from his back, his red warm blood painted the grey cold concrete he’s standing.

TO BE CONTINUED