Chapter Thirteen, Part III

Victoria: Gritty Encounters 

" A change," Gemma declared as they waited impatiently for Theo Timber to return. It was dark now, and the candles were straining to keep up with the impending shadows. Victoria fiddled with Fang. A makeshift sheath had been fashioned and tied about her waist. She insisted on carrying the dagger with her at all times now.

"They're coming," Gemma added. She sighed and sat down in a low and creaking wicker chair. Jillian stopped her nervous pacing monetarily, glanced at Victoria, then continued walking. "Jillian, do stop," Gemma scolded. "You're making me nervous." Jillian immediately halted, drawing her arms up about herself as if she were cold.

Shadows darted in circles as she sat down on the bottom step of the staircase. Lorik yawned, and Victoria was just about to chastise him when the doors opened, and Theo Timber strode in followed by two men in worn furs and faded leathers. One was bald and pink-faced, the harsh lines of age embedded deeply into his forehead and around his mouth. His yellow eyes stayed suspicious as he glanced about the room. His expression did not change.

Yet, it was not this man who Victoria stared openly at. Instant sickness swelled in her gut as she took in the familiar dark hair, the bearskin cloak fastened about his broad frame. His face was dried and burnt by the sun and wind, but she knew those rugged cheeks, those flattened lips, that dark, layered hair, those bright green eyes so strangely like her own...

"The ladies of the Green Lake," Perry Gritt greeted before anyone could speak. "We are pleased to be invited into Cascade Castle." His words were curt and polite, necessary but foreboding at the same time.

So, he means to discuss business here and nothing more. Victoria urged her thoughts to be right. She wanted to be. Needed to be. Gritt squinted at her, catching her eye momentarily but then darting them away toward Gemma before Victoria could glare at him.

"We are pleased to host you." Gemma's words were pinched; an icy veneer brittle and nearly cracked. "And why have you come?" she said bluntly, getting straight to the point. Perry chuckled. "And why have you brought Donal Boron into my home? You know I do not care for the man's company."

The bald man stepped forward brusquely, but Perry placed a firm hand on his shoulder. He turned and said over his shoulder to Theo: "A bit of hot ale, Theo, if you please." Theo nodded and exited quickly.

"Commanding my men?" Gemma scoffed, shaking her head incredulously. "In my own house?"

"Your father's house," corrected Donal Boron, who Victoria knew, did not believe in women ruling anything other than a kitchen or parlor, her only subjects the fireplace and her knitting tools.

"Donal, please." Perry Gritt materialized, a calm hand on Donal's shoulder. His voice was a slick as ice. It made Victoria grind her teeth together. She and Perry had a history, a complicated, passionate one. A history, that she liked to forget.

"Don't patronize me," Donal snapped.

"We are weary from our travels," Perry said, his fingers sliding from Donal's arm.

Ah yes." Victoria stepped away from her mother and crossed her arms. She flicked a wrist out. "Why have you traveled all the way here, gentlemen?"

"We were in the area," Perry answered smoothly. "We hadn't visited the lovely ladies in the Cascade in a while." He favored them with a wink. Flattery was his art, persuasion his pen. Victoria could already see Jillian's eyes widening in pleasure. She toyed with a curl and leaned forward to listen.

Pursing her lips, Victoria stepped in front of her cousin. "We are always hospital to any guests." Even if they are lowlife pricks who hide their true selves behind polite compliments. She forced a tight smile.

"That's new," Donal muttered. Victoria saw Perry put his hand back upon his old friend's shoulder, his fingers clenching. Donal's chin jutted out defiantly. His hand went up to scratch at his bald head. "I mean... how... kind of you."

Despite her annoyance at Perry, Victoria was enjoying seeing Donal Boron biting his tongue. The fact that he was doing so for Perry's sake meant that the men wanted something.

"Show them to their rooms," Gemma said curtly. "Jillian." The slight was a direct blow. They had serving girls that could show the men to their rooms. Gemma was feeling annoyed, and Jillian was going to be her scapegoat. Squaring her shoulders, Jillian stepped forward.

"This way," she said curtly. "You'll have to excuse the state of the rooms. We've had to move things downstairs as we are having... issues with the second floor." She began moving further down the hall. Many of the servant quarter had been rearranged to accommodate guests for the time being. They were small and cramped but the best the ladies of Cascade Castle could offer.

Victoria watched as Donal passed by her without even bidding her goodnight. She wasn't surprised. As she stepped aside to let him pass, she saw a shadow dancing on the far wall above his head. Quickly, she diverted her gaze and found Perry Gritt staring at her. As their eyes met, his brows rose.

"I wondered, Lady Victoria, if I might have a private word?" he asked politely. She thought about outright refusing. To any other man, it would have been a blow to his ego. To Perry Gritt, it would only be seen as a challenge.

"Victoria is weary," Gemma cut in, her fingers groping about for her daughter. Victoria inched away from her mother though and raised her chin up.

"I can spare Lord Gritt a moment surely, Mother." Victoria placed a soothing hand upon Gemma's arm. "Perry and I are... old friends after all, are we not?" she asked with forced cheerfulness. Perry offered her an equally fake chuckle. That's going to need some work, Perry, Victoria thought through her syrupy smile. I know you can do better than that.

"Here." Perry offered her his arm, and she grasped his weathered shawl covered elbow lightly.