25 || T W E N T Y - F I V E

"I guess it isn't the end of the world. The pain is always there, but it's always healing, too."

*

As Axe took a step forward, I saw the hold Rory had over him. Axe, a droid, only wanted a normal life. Just like the replicas down below. Rory promised them that and made it seem like he was good on his word.

So human...

Because manipulation, corruption, was something humans were good at. Their strongest skill was to trick others. Force people into tight situations in order to get what they want?

Wasn't that how wars were started? How countries were formed?

With Rory's hand on Axe's chest, stopping his advance, I knew how it would end. Because that type of behavior never had a good outcome. So many failed kingdoms, fallen tyrants...

"Rory." I opened my arms wide, protecting Will. "This needs to stop. I won't say it again."

"You can't stop me." Rory moved away from Axe, allowing him the space to walk. "I've made my decision. I just need it to work."

Need it to work...

As the light faded from Axe's eyes, it looked as though his plan wouldn't. The android took three steps and froze. I could hear the computers in him power down. In less than ten seconds, he was just a piece of metal.

I did break him, didn't I?

"Axe?" Rory moved around him and tugged at his sleeves. "Why aren't you moving?"

No response. No movement.

And then it hit me—Mary had fixed me, hadn't she? She said it. She reconnected my computers after the bullets destroyed my sensors. I was... functioning differently. My systems transmitted data a-whole-nother way.

Meaning... whatever Rory tried to copy and upload... wasn't the right data.

He can't fix this. Axe is broken. A part of me is, too.

Glancing back, I saw Will shift uncomfortably behind me.

"Axe..." Rory pressed both of his hands against the Android's chest. And pushed. Hard. But once a droid powers down, the weight of our metal frame becomes clear. Rory couldn't move him. Not an inch. "Why aren't you working!"

My eyes focused on Rory's glowing center. It brightened within him, my sensors picking up the peaks of energy. He was distracted, open.

Now's my chance.

"It doesn't matter, does it..." Rory's hand slid away from Axe just as I moved. When he turned around, I stopped and watched his head dip to one side. He smiled, weak and defeated. "Every android has a piece of me, a copy of me, and needs me to work. Trying to give him you... to make him you, that was the wrong idea, right? Who was I to think I could fix stupid, defective copies? They were put in the basement for a reason... fucking, useless things..."

Woah...

His head dropped forward, hands in his hair. His shoulders went up against his ears as he huffed in frustration. I took the chance to look back at Will and nod at him, letting him know now was my chance.

It's easier said than done.

"Can't replicate the real thing, huh?" Rory laughed, and I turned back to look at him. His eyes were blue again, dimming, fading. "Javier... do you know why I did all of this? Do you really know?"