7 | the sin

7 | THE SIN

Celeste woke up to the sound of children playing

Celeste woke up to the sound of children playing. She lifted her head and peered out onto the farm. A few children were squealing and running around playing games around the krill ponds. Everything seemed so... happy. The adults were smiling and watching their children from a distance. "Looks like they're happy to see us." Mando mentioned.

All the village children ran right up to the child and squealed in delight. "Looks like." Cara smiled at the warming scene.

A young village woman led Mando and Celeste to their quarters. It was a decent sized room with reasonable lighting. "I hope this is comfortable for you." The woman gestured to the room.

"There's only one bed." Celeste blurted out, accidentally in a rude manner.

Mando stepped in front of her, a little embarrassed at how she reacted. "This will do fine, thank you. This is all very kind."

Celeste turned around to begin putting her things away and Mando did so as well. As they were beginning to do so, Mando sense a creeping individual come up to their quarters. He reacted and whipped around with a gun pointed at the intruder. It was a little girl, the daughter of the hostess— Omera— named Winta. The girl shrieked and hid behind her mother. "This is my daughter, Winta. We don't get a lot of visitors around here. She's not used to strangers." Omera introduced. "This nice man is going to help protect us from the bad ones."

"Thank you." Winta spoke to Mando with curious eyes.

"Come on, Winta. Let's give our guests some room."Omera led herself and her child out of Mando and Celeste's quarters.

"Look, you're Mr. Nice Man here. Maybe this place is heaven." Celeste snickered. "Ah, if only I could be as regal and gentle as Omera." Celeste joked around as she pulled out a blaster from her belt. She might've been joking when she said such a thing, but she truly meant it. She felt like she was never enough as a person. Especially as a woman. Maybe it was because her parents abandoned her. Maybe it was because she only ever made money being a courtesan, or a hooker for the elite. She always felt like she was never sweet enough or never bad ass enough. She was just, plain. She had no backstory. No history. No nothing. Nothing was cool about her and nothing was tragic about her. Well, with the exception that some weirdo was after her, nothing was interesting in her life... that she knew of.

Later in the afternoon Celeste was outside plaiting the little girls' hair of the village. They were so sweet with her and loved how her hair was short at her shoulders just like theirs. Celeste allowed the children to play with her little baby and watched until she saw Omera enter her and Mando's quarters. Celeste felt a sense of protectiveness wash over, some would call it jealousy, and abandoned the child to see what the woman needed with Mando.

She walked in on them conversing. She looked over and saw Omera brought them lunch. "How long has it been since you've taken that off in front of someone else?" Celeste heard Omera ask about Mando's helmet. Celeste was shocked she'd ask such a thing to him. She wasn't going to lie to herself, though, she, too, was curious.