Chapter 13: Hagrid and Aragog

As February faded into March, the weather got warmer. Harry hasn't heard the disembodied voice since Justin Finch-Fletchley and Sir Nicholas were petrified. Nearly everybody thought that the attacker, whoever it was, had stopped for good. Even Ernie Macmillan, who had spread rumors about Harry,to the rest of his house, had asked Harry politely to pass a bucket of leaping toadstools in Herbology one day. Harry noticed that several of the mandrakes threw a party in greenhouse three. This made Sprout very happy. She said, "The moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they're fully mature. Then we'll be able to revive those poor people in the hospital wing." Now, however, the second years were given something else to think about during their Easter holidays. It was time to choose their subjects for when they start their third year at Hogwarts. It was something that Hermione took seriously. Hermione said, "It could affect our whole future." Harry said, "I'm not ditching Potions. I'm doing pretty good in that class." Ron said, "If I could, I'd ditch Defense Against the Dark Arts." Hermione said, "But that's very important!" Ron said, "Not the way Lockhart teaches it. I haven't learned anything from him except not to set pixies loose." Ron ends up choosing the same classes he was taking now. Hermione chose to sign up for every class listed. Percy who was watching Harry looking at his list, said, "Depends where you want to go, Harry. It's never too early to think about the future, so I'd recommend Divination. People say Muggle Studies is a soft option, but I personally think wizards should have a thorough understanding of the non-magical community, particularly if they're thinking of working in close contact with them. Look at my father, he has to deal with Muggle business all the time. My brother Charlie was always more of an outdoor type, so he went for Care of Magical Creatures. Play to your strengths, Harry." The only thing Harry was good at, was Quidditch. So, in the end, he chose the same new subjects as Ron. He felt that if he was lousy at any of them, then at least he'd have Ron to help him.

Harry awoke the next day and washed up. He got dressed and went down to the great hall for breakfast. Oliver was plating eggs on his team's plates. He said enthusiastically, "Perfect Quidditch conditions! Harry, buck up there, you need a decent breakfast." Harry did what Oliver said and ate breakfast. He left the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione to get his Quidditch things. As he set foot on the marble staircase, he heard the voice once again. The voice said, "Kill this time.... let me rip.... tear...." He shouts out loud making Ron and Hermione jump away from him in alarm. Harry shouts, looking over his shoulder, "The voice! I just heard it again.... Didn't you?" Ron shakes his head, wide-eyed. Hermione, however, claps her hand to her forehead. She said, "Harry! I think I've just understood something! I've got to go to the library!" She sprints up the stairs, heading to the library. Harry looks at Ron and said, "What does she understand?" Ron said, "Loads more than I do." Harry said, "But why's she got to go to the library?" Rons said as he shrugs, "Because that's what Hermione does. When in doubt, go to the library" People were now leaving the Great Hall, talking loudly as they go out the front doors on their way to the Quidditch pitch. Ron said, "You'd better get moving. It's nearly eleven, the match." Harry runs up to Gryffindor Tower, while Ron goes down to the Quidditch pitch. Harry grabs his Nimbus 2000 broomstick and joins the large crowd heading to the pitch. It was sunny outside and Harry felt a light breeze as he enters the changing room and changes into his Quidditch robes. The team walks onto the field to the sound of applause. Oliver takes off for a warm-up flight around the goal posts. Madam Hooch releases the balls. The Hufflepuffs, who played in canary yellow, were standing nearby, waiting. Both teams had just flown into the air, when McGonagall came marching onto the pitch. She was holding a megaphone. Harry's heart dropped as he thought, 'Please don't let there be another attack. Please....' McGonagall said, "This match has been cancelled." Oliver lands his broomstick and said to McGonagall, "You can't cancel Quidditch!" McGonagall said, "Silence Wood! You and your teammates will go to Gryffindor Tower. Now." McGonagall looks at Harry with a sad face as she said, "Harry, you and I will find Mr. Weasley. There's something the both of you have to see." While the entire school went up to the castle. Harry and McGonagall found Ron. They follow McGonagall up to the hospital wing. McGonagall said as they enter the hospital wing, "I warn you, this could be a wee bit of a shock." McGonagall leads them to 2 beds. Madam Pomfrey looks sadly at the 2 boys as they approach the beds. In one bed laid a 6th year girl named Penelope Clearwater, a Ravenclaw Prefect. In the other bed was Hermione. Both were petrified. On the bedside table was a mirror. Harry and Ron look on in shock. Ron said, "Hermione!" McGonagall said sadly, "She was found near the library with Miss. Clearwater." McGonagall picks up the mirror and shows them. She said, "She was holding this." She continues, "Does it mean anything to either of you?" Harry said, "No, Professor." She sets the mirror down on the bedside table. McGonagall leads Ron and Harry back to the Gryffindor Common Room. They enter the common room, where all of Gryffindor was waiting for them. Ron and Harry stood with the others as McGonagall faced her house. She said, "Could I have your attention please?" Everyone quieted down and look at their head of house. McGonagall said, "Because of recent events, these new rules will be put into effect immediately. She unrolls a scroll and said, "All students will return to their house common rooms by 6:00 every evening. All students will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No exception." She rolls the scroll back up and said, "I should tell you this: Unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught, it is likely the school will be closed." McGonagall leaves the common room with a worried look on her face.