Chapter 14: Entering the Chamber of Secrets

The following evening, they visit Hermione. Harry puts a bouquet of flowers into the vase. Harry said, "Wish you were here, Hermione. We need you. Now more than ever." While Harry was looking at Hermione, he spots a scrunched up piece of parchment in Hermione's hand. Harry pries it from her hand and opens it. Ron said, "What's that?" Harry said, "Ron, this is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked. Come on." Harry and Ron leave the hospital wing. Harry reads the parchment, "Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it." Harry looks at Ron and said, "Ron, this is it! The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a basilisk! That's why I can hear it speak! It's a snake!" Ron said, "But if it kills, by looking people in the eye, why is it that no one's dead?" Harry looks and see his reflection in a window on the door. He said, "Because no one did look it in the eye. Not directly, at least. Colin saw it through his camera. Justin.... Justin must have seen the basilisk through Sir Nicholas. Sir Nicholas got the full blast of it, but he's a ghost. He couldn't die again. And Hermione.... Had a mirror.... I bet you anything, she was using it to look around corners. In case it came along." Ron said, "And Mrs. Norris? I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror, Harry." Harry said, "The water.... There was water on the floor that night. She only saw the basilisk's reflection." Harry looks at the parchment again and said, "Spiders flee before it. It all fits!" Ron said, "How's the basilisk been getting around? A dirty, great snake. Someone would have seen it." Harry shows Ron the parchment. On the parchment was the word Pipes in Hermione's handwriting. Harry said, "Hermione's answered that too." Ron said, "Pipes? It's using the plumbing?" Harry said, "Remember what Aragog said? About that girl 50 years ago? She died in a bathroom. What if she never left?" Ron realizes what Harry was saying. He said, "Moaning Myrtle!" Harry nods. They suddenly heard McGonagall's amplified voice. McGonagall said, "All students are to return to their house dormitory at once. All teachers to the second floor corridor immediately." Harry and Ron went to the 2nd floor and hid nearby while the teachers came running to where the the first attacked happened. Snape was among them. McGonagall said, "As you can see, the heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realized. A student has been taken by the monster, into the Chamber itself. The students must be sent home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts." The teachers look worried. That is, until Lockhart showed up. Their worry turned into hatred, upon seeing Lockhart. Lockhart said, "So sorry. Dozed off. What have I missed?" Snape said coldly, "A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last." Lockhart said, "M.... My  moment?" Snape smirks coldly, "Weren't you saying just last night, that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" Lockhart was no longer looking cheery. He was looking feeble and scared now. McGonagall said, "That settles it. We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. You're skills, after all, are legend." Lockhart smiles faintly and said, "Very well. Uh.... I'll just be in my office getting uh.... Getting ready." Lockhart leaves them as Madam Pomfrey said, "Who is it that the monster has taken, Minerva?" McGonagall said, "Ginny Weasely." The teachers leave. Snape was about to leave when he heard Ron say weakly, "Ginny...." There on the wall, below the first message, were words written in blood. It read: Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever. Snape watches as Ron and Harry leaves, then follows quietly. Harry said, "Lockhart may be useless, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber. At least we can tell him what we know!" They enter Lockhart's office to find Lockhart packing. Harry said, "Professor, we have some information for you!" Harry and Ron pause to see suitcases and trunks packed. Harry said, "Are you going somewhere?" Lockhart said, "Well, yes. Urgent call. Unavoidable. Got to go." Snape stands by the office door, listening. Ron said incredulously, "What about my sister?!" Lockhart said as he continues to pack, "Well, um.... As to that.... Most unfortunate. No one regrets it more than I." Ron shouts back, "You're the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher! You can't go now!" Lockhart said, "Well I must say, when I took the job, there was nothing in the job description...." Harry cuts him off as he said, "You're running away?! After all that stuff you did in your books?!" Lockhart said, "Books can be misleading...." Snape quietly pulls out his wand. He had a feeling that Lockhart might do something to his son and his son's friend, Ron. If so, he was ready to protect them. Harry said, "You wrote them!" Lockhart said, "My dear boy, do use your common sense! My books wouldn't have sold half as well, if people didn't think I'd done all those things!" Harry said, "You're a fraud! You've just been taking credit for what other wizards have done!" Ron said, "Is there anything you can do?" Lockhart said, "Yes! Now that you mention it. I'm rather gifted with Memory Charms. Otherwise, you see, all those wizards would have gone blabbing. I'd never have sold another book." Lockhart continues as he turns and picks up his wand, "In fact, I'm going to have to do the same to you." Harry and Ron pull out their wands and points them at Lockhart.