Chapter Nineteen

Nova:

NOVA SIGHED AGAINST HER PHONE AS SHE TOOK ANOTHER SWING OF HER DRINK. "I just pulled over to wait out the storm May. I swear I'll be home."

Nova could hear her friends distress through the phone, "Well could you tell me what happened? Did you find him... you know your father?"

Nova shook her head as she sat at the bar, rubbing her temples with her free hand, "I'll talk to you about it when I get home, I promise."

May didn't seem satisfied with her answer but agreed regardless, "Okay Nov, be safe."

She hung up the phone downing the rest of her drink before waving over the bartender for another. She knew she shouldn't be drinking her problems away, but the buzz quickly put her at ease. She didn't want to think about the events that took place earlier. Instead she focused her attention out the window at the storm, finding comfort in the familiarity it brought.

"Hey there beautiful," A man said from beside her.

From her drunken state, Nova lost her nervous nature as she rolled her eyes at the man. She had no interest in love, and definitely no interest in careless flirting.

"What might your name be," he asked holding his hand out for her to shake.

"Uninterested," she muttered back meeting his eyes as she took another sip.

He turned away clearly annoyed with her response, "bitch," he mumbled before leaving her side at the bar.

"Yup that's me," she said in a snarky tone as she let a side smile fall onto her lips.

Once he left, her frown returned. Nova let her mind wonder to what her future could've been. What if she stayed with the Avengers? What if she never left? She would've never went after her father. He would've stayed a ghost in her mind. Maybe she would've found a place there, a purpose. But she knew deep down she had no abilities that would ever be of use to them. After all she was just a human.

Her attention was pulled away from her thoughts as a tall man sat beside her. He wore dark clothing with his black hair slicked back. She tried to ignore him but he soon spoke up, "you don't seem to belong here," he muttered with a sly smile. Nova recognized a thick accent almost immediately when he spoke.

She kept her eyes forward continuing to watch the storm as she drank, "yeah well I just came from a shitty family reunion buddy, so if you don't mind I'd like to drink alone."

Her sour attitude seemed to have no effect on him as he found amusement in her tone, "I know how that goes."

Nova ignored his words for a second as she tried to think. The more alcohol she consumed the more agitated she grew.

"I was adopted," he spoke taking a sip of the drink the bartender gave him, "compared to my dear brother, I was never the preferred child."

Nova listened letting his words sink in as he continued.

"I suppose I will never amount to the greatness of him."

She huffed watching the rain fall, taking notice of the man's pity party. On a normal day, Nova would be sincere and understanding of another persons struggling, but not today.

"Yeah well try being an only child with no family," she never gave him a look as she spoke, "My mother was killed a year ago. You know, today I went looking for my father, haven't seen him in 23 years. Only to find out he's a criminal in jail and shocker he still doesn't want me!" Nova shouted throwing her hands in the air in frustration.

"So maybe you're not as great as your brother, but at least you have a family."

The man considered her words, understanding the sheer amount of pain the woman was in.

"I am truly sorry," he whispered lowly trying to keep people's eyes away from her sudden outburst.

She shook her head grabbing the glass in front of her, "don't bother."

"Well you must be strong-willed to encounter all of that."

The signature smirk never left the man's face which other furthered Nova's irritation, "And don't bother flattering me dude, I'm not into brunettes."

This caused a slight chuckle from the tall man beside her, "Oh how unfortunate, It's always the blondes that get the beautiful ones."

His statement caused Nova to finally turn her head to meet his eyes, "who the hell are you?" She asked annoyed with his observant nature.

Her brown eyes met his green ones as they glowed in a mischievous manner. He smiled returning the question, "I could ask you the same, miss."

She rolled her eyes not daring to look away from him, "Nova Lee."

She finally turned away pulling out her wallet to pay the bartender but the man's hand was quickly placed over hers as she turned to glare at him, "Do not worry about that my dear."

She stuffed her wallet back in her purse standing in a rage which caused her vision to become blurry for a moment. She held the counter of the bar closing her eyes for a second as she let the room come back into focus. Drinking tonight was probably not the best idea. This didn't go unnoticed by the man as he stood to help her.

She shooed him away putting her hood up over her hair. Nova's lipstick was slightly smeared as she made direct eye contact with the man who towered over her. Her eyes widened as he reached his fingers up to swipe the lipstick from the corner of her lips.

Her hand swatted his away as she turned to leave the bar yelling, "What is it with all these assholes today."

She turned back to give him one glance as his green eyes shined with amusement, "I hope to see you again, Nova Lee."

"God I hope not," she yelled back as she walked out of the bar into the storm.

She tried to shake the thoughts of the strange man as she wrapped her coat around her tighter. Nova's heels clacked against the pavement until she finally made it to her car slamming the door behind her. Once the door was closed the sound of the rain was quieter, for a second she closed her eyes letting the sound of thunder wash over her.

••••

Back in the bar, the man stood up staring at the bartender.

"Can I help you pal?" the man behind the bar asked curiously.

The bartender didn't realize who he was speaking to as the man glowed reappearing with a green armor encasing his body, his dark hair fell to his shoulders as a gold helmet appeared on his head. He held a scepter in his hands. This was his true form.

As people began to panic he placed the scepter against the bartenders head. His eyes turned black for a moment before turning an unnatural blue.

"Bring me the girl," Loki stated, smiling as people screamed around him.

"Preferably alive."

———

One of my favorite chapters to write, keep voting for more frequent updates 💜