Chapter Twenty-Eight

Magne made it exceedingly clear from the moment that you stepped foot into the League's base that she absolutely adored Eri. The second she saw the little girl, she bounded up to the two of you, and while she noticed your distraught appearance, her focus turned to the tiny, red-eyed child.

"Aren't you just the cutest thing?" she gushed, and Eri moved to hide behind you, clutching your hand like a lifeline. You cracked a half smile at the gesture, ruffling the kid's hair with your other hand. Magne continued, oblivious to Eri's shyness. "What's your name, kiddo?"

"This is Eri," you told her when the little girl refused to speak. "She's with me now. We had... an incident with the heroes."

Magne didn't miss the way your tone went bitter. Her voice softened significantly as she said, "Do you want to talk about it?"

You hesitated before nodding, looking at the girl who was practically your daughter before glancing back up at Magne. "I need to get her settled in here, first. Do you have any idea where Shigaraki is?"

The base was eerily quiet. The only people that you could see were Magne and Kurogiri. You assumed that the others were off doing other things, but you didn't know where. It especially surprised you that Himiko wasn't there to greet you like she normally did. It made you a little anxious, if you were being honest. It wasn't like her to skip out on a meeting with you.

"Shigaraki's in the next room over," Magne told you. "He's been in a good mood ever since he and the others took Overhaul's arms."

At the mention of Overhaul, Eri flinched. You looked down at her, explaining that everything was okay and that she was safe. You turned to Magne once more. "Eri was under his care for a long time. He wasn't good to her at all. She ran away from him and I ended up finding her. She's going to stay here with me now."

Magne looked at Eri sympathetically. "Poor thing... I'd give her a hug if she let me, but I don't think she's ready for that. Be sure to give her one for me."

You nodded and swooped Eri into a bone crushing hug, the little girl giggling when you pressed a kiss to her forehead. Magne gave the two of you a smile. She was grateful that you'd been able to save Eri, even if she hadn't known the kid for that long. No one deserved to live with someone while fearing for her life, and she knew that was how Eri must have felt while staying with the yakuza.

You crouched down so that you were at Eri's level so that you could speak to her more clearly. "Eri, this is Big Sis Mags, okay? I need you to stay with her for a little bit while I go talk to someone else about us staying here. Is that okay with you or do you want to come with me?"

The crimson-eyed girl shuffled her weight between her feet as she looked at you, not wanting to be left behind. "I wanna stay with you!"

You sighed, but let her tag along, waving a quick goodbye to Magne as you walked into the other room. Inside you found the rest of the League, asides from Dabi and Himiko. You heard a chorus of "Hey's" as you walked into the room, but soon everyone's attention zeroed in on the girl at your side. You couldn't really blame them. It had kind of been a spur of the moment decision to bring a literal child where the country's most wanted criminals were.

"Shigaraki," you greeted as you came up next to him. He was sitting at a chair at a bar-like area, a video game controller in hand. He and Spinner seemed to be duking it out on the console, but you didn't recognize what they were playing. It must've been a game from this universe, then.