Chapter 17 - Too Far

It was Monday morning after the competition, and I covered my mouth to try and stifle another yawn. Our flight got delayed due to bad weather, so we didn't get in until midnight last night, and I was completely exhausted. I would have chosen to sleep in today and skip school altogether, but I really wanted to see Mia, Trevor, and George.

Apparently, Mia wants to introduce us to someone at lunch today, and she told me she would ignore me for a month if I didn't show up. I felt that threat was a real one, so there was no way I would risk the silent treatment from her just to get a few more hours of sleep.

"Hey," Drew greeted, sliding into the seat next to me.

"Hi," I smiled, "did you have a good weekend?"

"Nah, there was nothing really going on, so just sat at home playing video games mostly. You?"

"Had a competition this weekend out in New Mexico, actually."

"Rock climbing, right?" he asked.

I nodded my head, "yup, got 2nd place for speed climbing but 1st for bouldering."

"Nice," he sat back in his chair, running his hand through his midnight locks and catching the attention of a few girls sitting in front of us. When they noticed me sitting next to him, I got a few unwarranted glairs, which made me roll my eyes.

I looked back over my shoulder in search of Austin, dreading the fact that he could appear at any second. I hoped that he would be at football practice today or skipping school, anything, so I didn't have to see him. Drew caught me mid search and arched his eyebrow, "looking for anyone in particular?"

"No," I mumbled, turning back around to face the front, knowing that it was pointless to be on the lookout for him.

"Did I tell you my sister dropped this class?" Drew asked, looking up at the ceiling like he was bored out of his mind.

"No, I guess that's a good thing though, right?"

"Oh, for sure. Once she realized that you weren't going to fall for her and Austin's scheme, she decided it wasn't worth it to pretend she liked the class anymore. Too bad Austin can't drop this too. I heard that the coach refused to let him since he wouldn't be allowed to play football if he did," Drew glanced over at me from under his hair, "Is that who you've been looking for?"

I nodded my head and took another quick glance behind me just to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

"You know he probably won't ever talk to you again, right?"

"I know, it's just he was at the competition this weekend, and I'm worried he might have finally figured out who I am."

Drew sat up in his chair and turned his body to face me, "what do you mean he was there this weekend?"

"He showed up this weekend to try and sleep with some of the girls in the competition," I shuddered, "There was an article released a few weeks ago that had pictures of my friends and I dressed in basically nothing to help advertise the competition. I have a feeling that those pictures were enough to convince him to fly all the way out to New Mexico to try and hook up with one of us."

"What a dick. Here I thought he couldn't become more of a pig than he already was," Drew grunted. "What do you want to do about it?"

"Nothing, I just want to let everything go and never have to think about him ever again."

"That's stupid," Drew stated, "I would do anything to help you take him down at this point. Your friend Mia thinks that same thing, by the way."

"Oh, I know, I just don't want to cause more trouble for everyone than I already have," I shrugged my shoulders.