Chapter Twenty-Two

Thor:

TENSION FILLED THE ROOM AS TONY'S CALLS WENT TO VOICEMAIL. He quickly began trying to find a ping to her phone as Thor let his mind wander to the worst situations.

Loki had always felt like he didn't belong. When he found out he wasn't Odin's true son, he went ballistic. And when Thor was announced as the next King of Asgard, Loki was devastated. This is what caused his outbursts. As much as he loved his brother, rage filled his mind letting darkness take over his actions.

If Loki got ahold of Nova Lee, he would surely kill her, just to see his brother weak. Just so Thor would finally lose. The god of thunder could not let that happen. He thought the mortal would be safe away from them, he thought he was doing the right thing by letting her go. But Thor began to realize that by saving Nova back in the streets of New York, he had forever dragged her into their mess.

However the god did not regret this decision. He never felt a true meaning behind his life. This was something he choose on his own. This was something he did not want to be selfish with.

"From the looks of it, her cell phone is on a highway between Dallas and Grapevine," Tony announced breaking the god from his thoughts.

"Problem is it shows no activity or movement for the last hour."

Steve Rogers crinkled his eyebrows in thought as he looked at the screen in front of him, "why would she be there?"

The God had already begun grabbing his armor throwing his cape over his shoulders as he picked up his hammer. To Thor there was no hesitation, he was going after her whether the Avengers were coming or not.

"Where are you going Blondie?" Tony asked as Thor ignored them walking to the patio outside.

"You already know where he's going," Rogers replied with a sigh, "suit up team we are going to Dallas."

••••

Iron man arrived before the rest of them, flying over the abandoned highway trying to locate the phone. Before he could call upon J.A.R.V.I.S he spotted something through the darkness off to the side of the road. When he flew closer he realized what it was.

"J.A.R.V.I.S give me a scan of that license plate," Tony said talking into his suit as he landed swiftly on the ground.

"Yes sir, it appears to belong to May Wetherstone. Resident of Dallas, Texas."

Tony began walking around the upturned car frantically trying to find evidence of how the accident occurred.

"Does this May happen to be rooming with our dear Nova?" Tony asked as his eyes connected with an object on the ground.

He picked it up immediately recognizing what it was, "don't answer that," he mumbled letting his suit retract from his face.

Stark turned the phone around in his palm remembering the day he gave it to her. The screen was cracked, but it still turned on showing his name on the screen. Sadness formed in the pit of his gut, making him wish he was not the first to see that. He felt responsible for Nova, he was the one who willingly let her go thinking it was what was best. But now their enemies were hers.

"Dammit Nova. Please tell me this wasn't you," he said weakly as he crotched down seeing the broken drivers side window and the pool of blood beneath it.

"Where are you Tony? What'd you find?" Steve asked talking into his ear piece.

"Nothing you're gonna like Cap, where's the god he's gonna need to see this," just as the words left his mouth a stroke of lightening appeared on the highway as Thor landed quickly running over to Tony.

His face held grief as he looked at the smashed car.

"Do not speak it," Thor said watching Tony's lips form into a frown.

The god knew by the look on his face that that was Nova's car. He noticed her presence wasn't there as he peered into the automobile windows. Every window was smashed, every door dented, her purse still laid inside with a pool of blood surrounding it.

"Where is she!?" Thor yelled throwing the car upright with a great force.

Tony backed up at his sudden anger still clutching the phone in his hand. By that time, Natasha and Steve arrived but stayed a fair distance away with a look of horror on their faces.

"Looks like he got to her before we could," Steve mumbled quietly, brushing his finger over the broken drivers side window.

Thor's heart beat loudly in his chest as he tried not to think of the blood coating the seats in the automobile.

"But this is a game remember," Tony said pointing as he spoke, "Loki doesn't do anything without an audience."

Natasha nodded sternly at his words looking away from the car beside them, "Where would he take her? It's not like he left a note."

They all turned to Thor hoping he would have some idea of where his brother was. He stared straight ahead an angry look apparent in his eyes as he thought.

"Galisteo, New Mexico," he replied continuing to stare at the destroyed vehicle.

Tony Stark looked at the god as if he were insane, "And why in the world would he take her there?"

"Because that place is of familiarity to me. It is where I first arrived here on Midgard. My brother was aware I would have the ability to find him there."

Thor swore once Nova Lee was safely back in his arms, he would not let her slip away again. He knew his purpose now was this. He was never meant to take over the throne back on Asgard, Thor's duty was there back on earth. The connection he felt with the mortal meant something. And he was desperate to find out.

"Well can't leave the god waiting around, unless we want another New York City disaster," Natasha stated turning back to the Quinjet parked in the middle of the highway.

Tony groaned letting his suit fall back over his face, "Where to sir?" J.A.R.V.I.S asked as his feet lifted off the ground.

"To New Mexico."

———

Comment your favorite Part:
Part 1 (Nova staying with the avengers) or Part 2 (Nova being kidnapped by the God of Mischief)