Chapter Eleven

• Dedicated to Sophie Youmans

Noah POV
I sat there staring at the wall in front of me wondering what in the world had I just done? Why had I done it? The words just seemed to slip out and the look on her face had shocked me. At first she seemed happy, but all too soon it changed and she began to walk away. I was quite surprisee when I saw her outstretched hand when I lifted my head from my hands. What else could I have done except agree to the word ‘friends’? I couldn’t exactly say no.
I believed she was trying to make it less awkward between us for when it came to having to talk during lessons. So I agreed we would be friends, it was probably for best. I’m her teacher, she’s my student. It would be wrong and illegal; if we were found out I could lose my job and face a jail sentence. She could face ridicule and be known for this for the rest of her life. Why am I even thinking about it? The possibility anything would happen was impossible. How would I even know she feels the same? Yes she seemed happy at first but then she practically ran away.
But when I thought about her, deep down I knew it would be nearly impossible to be friends too. When I see her it’s hard for me to look away. She was just so beautiful, her eyes were intoxicating and once you were lost in them it was hard to find your way out. Her smile was perfect and so infectious, whenever she smiled others did. The first time I had seen her, walking into the gates on that first day, I hadn’t been able to stop thinking about her since. She had ignored me and carried on walking with her friends, it hadn’t bothered me because at the time I hardly knew her and my feelings weren’t as strong as they are now. I still don’t really know her but I had at least had the chance to talk to her and learn some things about her. Like how she really liked reading in her spare time, she loved listening to music as it relaxed her and most of the things she liked or liked to do I liked them too.
When I had seen her in the book store I thought it would be okay to talk to her, nothing would come of it. Just a simple conversation about some books but how wrong I had been. We had talked for a while and for some reason I believed this was the best time to say those specific words. When was the best time to say those words? ‘Never.’ I thought.
I breathed in deeply and stood up straight. The ladies at the counter smiled and said goodbye as I walked out the doors and into the open space. I felt like this would be the perfect time for tumbleweed to go across the floor. Everyone had left, there was only half an hour until town was shut and my car was parked on the other side of the building. Just as I was about to turn around I saw her hunched over on a bench, earphones plugged in. Everything inside me wanted to go over to her and try to explain my actions but I knew that would just make matters worse. She glanced up and our eyes locked. We kept eye contact
for what seemed like hours but finally I broke and walked away. I could feel her eyes burning into my back but I didn’t stop. Instead I took a deep breath and quickened my pace.
When I finally made it to my car I was thankful. I leant back in my seat and closed my eyes. All of a sudden I started pounding my fists against the steering wheel out of anger; I gained a few odd looks from the only people in the car park but scowled at one.
Eventually after letting all my frustration out I started the engine, glad to be leaving and going home. Six o’clock and it was already beginning to get dark and I had so much to mark for tomorrow, at this rate I would probably be finished by no earlier than ten. It was going to be a long night, and the fact that I was going to have Aremor for a double lesson tomorrow made me wish the weekend would never end. At least I could set them a test or something that would mean no talking would be allowed making it less awkward for me. There would be no reason to have to talk or make eye contact with her.
Pulling into the drive I turned the engine off and grabbed my bag full of the papers that I needed to mark. I waved to my neighbour as she pulled her curtain across; she waved back and closed the curtains. Probably getting ready to have a relaxing night before having to get up early for work the next morning. I always ran into her and her husband when getting into my car in the morning to drive to work.
I could walk to the school as it
was only ten minutes away from my apartment but each day I seemed to bring home so much that there was no way I would be able to carry it all without dropping it.
I skimmed through paper after paper briefly marking it before putting it all back in the bag and jumping into the shower. When I stepped out it was just after ten, so I decided I had nothing else to do and I was going to go to bed and sleep. Pulling the covers to my chest I welcomed the warmth of my double quilt. Soon my eyelids dropped and I drifted off into a peaceful sleep.
Like every other night lately my mind flashed images of Aremor and I smiled in my sleep.