8 | the secret

8 | THE SECRET

The next few days, the village focused on purely training to defeat the AT-ST Imperial Walker that would likely destroy their village

The next few days, the village focused on purely training to defeat the AT-ST Imperial Walker that would likely destroy their village. Everyone was gathered the next morning to learn from Mando and Cara how to fight, and among them was Celeste. It was certainly awkward between Celeste and Mando, but his helmet did help hide Mando's blushing face. "You got the bandits and you got the mech. We'll handle the ATST but you gotta protect us when they come out the woods. And I don't have to tell you how dangerous they are. Cara Dune here was a veteran. She was a drop soldier for the rebellion, and she's gonna lay out a plan for you so listen carefully." Mando explained to everyone.

"There's nothing on this planet that can damage the legs of that thing, so we're going to build a trap. We're going to need to dig real deep, so it drops when it steps in. The two of us will hit their camp. Provoke them. That'll bring the fight out of the woods and down here to us." Cara told, then everyone got to work. They built traps and barricades and began training to shoot blasters and fight with spears.

Celeste wanted to be prepared, and Mando wanted her to be able to defend herself even after the fight against the raiders was over, so, Mando began to train her more than the others— one on one. They spent hours shooting and fighting hand to hand combat. Fortunately, she was a quick learner and was managing to keep up with Mando. Mando reached out to swing at her and followed the steps he had taught her earlier and grabbed his arm. She stopped his blow and twisted his arm to put him in a vulnerable state and shove him to the ground. "I let you do that." Mando grunted as he dusted off his armor.

"Yeah right," she scoffed, "maybe I am getting faster than you." She chuckled, then reached out a hand to help him up off of the ground.

"Now you've got to learn how to disarm someone." Mando began to walk a short distance from her, his back turned to her.

"Oh, I know how to do that." Celeste informed him as she walked up behind him. She pressed her chest to his back and wrapped her arms around him, pretending like she was trying to entice him. Mando got distracted with her hands on his chest, and she used it to his advantage to steal the blaster that was tucked away on his belt. She pointed it at his head and he flinched. "See? You must not know what I used to do for a living." Celeste recalled her hustling days.

"That's not what I meant." Mando pushed her arm, so that she wouldn't point the blaster at him anymore, and turned around to face her.

"It worked didn't it?" Celeste cocked her head.

"But it won't work on everyone." Mando shook his head at her.

"The sun's setting. Tomorrow's the big day. You should get some rest." Celeste changed the subject and began to walk away.

* * *

The next night came quicker than expected and Celeste waited by the barricades with the other villagers. Mando and Cara came sprinting from the forest with the ATST right at their heels. The two hid behind the barricades with the others. "This is it, once that things steps in the pond it's down!" Cara shouted once she and Mando slid into a safe place.