forty two

A/N: I KNOW ITD BEEN TOO LONG IM REALLY SORRY!! I've had some stuff going on in my personal life and I haven't been in a good place to write. Hope you enjoy this chapter. I will be putting out things more consistently from now on, super promise. I love you guys. Enjoy 💖💖

"So what exactly is this event we are going to tonight?" I ask Harry as he emerges from the walk in closet fiddling with his cuff links on his white button up shirt.

"It's a dinner for the London Children's Hospital. They throw one every year around this time of year; as a way to thank everyone for their help and donations, that sort of thing" Harry explains, his concentration focused heavily on his wrist, trying and failing to slide the small button through the hole.

I leave the side of the bed where I have been examining my options of outfits for the evening to help him out. I take his wrist in my hands and easily slide the button through on one hand before lifting up the other to do the same. I don't look up when I do so, but I can hear the smile in his voice as he tells me "Thanks bub." I'm about to walk back to re-examine my outfits when he catches my elbow and pulls me gently against his chest. I raise my head up to meet his gaze, it's soft and tender, and there's that smile.

"I know the first time you went to one of these things it didn't exactly go well. Thank you for giving it another chance, for giving me another chance" His words melt me like butter on a hot day, and I'm pulling him down by his collar to connect his lips with mine the instant I hear them. The memory of that first event that he took me to still makes me shudder, but it also seems like such a long time okay. Not just in time, but in how our relationship has matured and grown. That confrontation was really what lead to us figuring out that we wanted this to work, and was the starting point to make the changes necessary to work it out.

"You're welcome" I reply softly against his lips as ours part ways. "I feel a lot better about where we are now compared to back then" He lets out a soft hum in agreement. "Who knows, maybe this time I'll actually stay the entire time" I joke as I release the grip on his collar and straighten it out against his neck.

"That would be delightful. And I agree, I think we've made a lot of improvements since then" He muses as he walks over to the dressing table and opens a drawer, taking out a watch from a wide selection and sliding it onto his wrist. It fills me with some relief I didn't know I needed as he says it. Sometimes I fear that he doesn't see me as an improvement on his life; that he maybe sees me as an object or worse, an obstacle. But I know that most of that comes from me and not from him, but I like the reassurance either way.

"Will tweedle dee and tweedle dum be in attendance this evening?" I ask him, referring to the two assholes Boyce and Lenny who spent much of that night mocking me and putting me down in covert ways. Harry chuckles as the comparison and thankfully, shakes his head.

"Very unlikely. They aren't rich enough to be donating that kind of money when they don't get that star power recognition out of it" He replies in an amused tone. I let out a small grin in relief, at least that will be a comforting thought to take me through the evening.

"Okay, now you have to help me choose a dress. Which one" I hold up the final two options after narrowing it down earlier in the day. One dress is a deep red that hugs me slightly at the waist and thin spaghetti straps. The other is fairly similar except it is black and has a slit that comes up the side to around mid thigh.

"Why not the white one you tried on earlier?" Harry asks with a slight pout. I roll my eyes, remembering my selection process before the make up artists arrived.

"No no no we ruled that one out remember? My whole boob almost popped out on a couple of occasions, I don't feel like standing like a statue to keep myself decent" I remind him. I'm met with a shrug as Harry now sits down on the edge of the bed.