Epilogue: The Last Five Years

Five Years Later

"Yeah, dad, the flight was fine," Riley assured him. "There's nothing to worry about, I'm fine! You really think Damon would let anything happen to us?" she smiled to herself as she listened to more of her father's anxieties. "Hey, we just pulled up at the school, I have to go," she told him. "I'll get Caroline to call you after I tell her. Okay, bye dad."

She hung up the phone as Damon stopped the car outside the 'Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted'.

"You do realize that your dad's gonna want to come and live with us when he retires, right?" Damon asked his wife, only half-joking.

Riley laughed. "Well, maybe he can have Bonnie's room? She's enjoying Hawaii so much she's thinking about making the move permanent."

Damon raised an eyebrow. "Does Bonnie know you're spying on her?"

Riley's eyes widened innocently. "I'm not spying! We have a psychic connection, remember? I see her having adventures and meeting hot guys, and she sees me teaching the world's future witches how to not set things on fire."

Damon feigned hurt as they got out of the car. "Hey, we have adventures! We went to London last year, remember?"

Riley chuckled. "Oh yeah, the raining city of Enzo's." She wrapped her arms around his neck. "We don't need to travel to have adventures. In fact, if I remember rightly, we went on a pretty huge adventure 18 months ago... and we're about to go on another one."

Damon smiled and nodded, and they kissed. Then he reached into the car and extracted Lorenzo Salvatore from his car seat, passing the half-asleep 18-month-old to his mother.

Riley kissed his cheek, making him laugh, just as a girl of about 11 came up to them, a smile on her face.

"Mrs. Fletcher-Salvatore, you're back!"

Riley smiled down at her, transferring Lorenzo to her other hip. "I'm back! Please tell me you've been practicing?" The girl avoided eye contact, and Riley frowned. "Hope, you have to practice your magic, okay? Otherwise you won't be able to control it."

"I will," Hope Mikaelson promised, as if she was speaking to her nagging mother. "I'll set Lizzie's hair on fire."

"Don't you dare!" Riley warned as Hope skipped back into the building. "Isn't it insane that a human is teaching the tribrid daughter of Klaus Mikaelson how to control her magic?"

Damon shook his head. "Nope, not insane at all. Because my human wife happens to be an awesome supernatural teacher."

They kissed again, before being interrupted by yet another voice.

"Finally!" Caroline said, running towards them and reaching straight for her nephew, who was more than happy to be held. "I missed you so much, Ren," she told him, kissing his cheek repeatedly. "You are so cute, do you know that? The cutest baby in the world!"

"We're here too, Care," Riley reminded her with a laugh.

Caroline giggled, her eyes still on Ren. "I know, I know. How was Colorado?"

"Boring," Damon answered before Riley could. She nudged him in the ribs. "I mean... seeing my father-in-law sheriff-ing a sleepy town in the middle of a snowstorm was the perfect vacation." His voice was dripping with sarcasm, and Caroline laughed, also knowing all about the Colorado snow from the many trips that she'd taken the twins on to see their only living grandparent.

At that moment, Ric exited the school, coming out to greet them.

"Hey," he greeted, hugging Riley. "You're not supposed to be here until next week." He quickly hugged Damon, before taking Ren from Caroline and balancing the toddler on his shoulders. "How's the bar?"