20: Leaving Him

-It was a lesson learnt-

I was such a gullible soul; a person so easily swayed by kind words and warm gestures. I guess it was my desperation for adoration...need for acceptance that made me feel that way. I wasn't used to the concept of women just being adored. I had watched love being chased, had felt the pain of being ignored and subtly mocked. Yet, here, I was again, gullibly falling into a depressing trap. 

So easily swayed by Demir's words, I had followed him into the living room and desperately worked to drink in my jealous emotion at the sight of his Meeran. Demir had assured that he would explain...that his betrayal was only a wicked form of sheer misunderstanding, yet as his gaze met hers, and I saw two huge dazzling smiles appear on both of their faces, I knew that I had acted like a naive fool...been too quick on allowing my husband to charm my heart. There were still so many emotions, so many words that were needed to ease my obsessed heart.

Reality had struck me.

With a bitter heart and a soul chastising my brain for thinking so childishly, I now watched Demir as he literally pushed the trolley before Meeran, didn't even allow her to move her a muscle as he personally served her tea...adding sugar and milk spoons without asking her; some memories always stay preserved and cherished. 

It took me minutes to walk away from the doorway, head towards the happy pair. 

Watching as he sat down on the seater that was placed next to Meeran, I eyed the only other couch placed in the room. It was placed on the other side of the room. Meeran had started chastising Demir for taking so much time in the kitchen, but he was quick to cheekily announce that he was being a good host by helping me in the kitchen. That was when their playful banter started over how he had never helped her with her designing work. 

Feeling so out of place and awkward, my naive heart felt hopeful and eager as Demir's finally gaze met mine, and he warmly gestured for me closer. 

"Maya, why are you standing there? Come join us for tea," he spoke warmly, his gaze adoring and soft. I nervously nodded and walked towards the trolley table. 

"Course."

"Maya, how did you get Demir to help in the kitchen?" Meeran joked, causing me to awkward shrug and give a weird smile. 

Anxiety was crushing my nerves.

I was a mute mess in such scenarios. 

"Unlike you, she never asks me to do anything," Demir replied in my place, teasing Meeran. She playfully rolled her eyes. This comfort level...this bond...this confidence level; witnessing it felt crushing and painful. I was never that comfortable and frank with Demir. Our bond...it was more based upon sweet warmth, respect and understanding. Yet, seeing how Meeran with him made me feel like the true 'friendship' element was missing from our bond. 

Somehow, Demir presenting me as a sweet girl, felt belittling in some way. I wanted him to tease me, too. But I guess it was just insecurity talking. Meeran was an epitome of a confident and smart lady. Her posture...everything was graceful and sophisticated. The way she started sipping on her tea, it made me feel like a slob.

"So, Demir," she held his attention again. "Who is handling your west-side factories now?" she asked, causing him to start explaining to her about his new management program. The passion he shared for his business...the excitement in his tone, which showed that he was happy that he got to talk about it with someone, had my heart clenching in pain. 

I wasn't well-versed with business terms, never knew about elite problems, but Meeran did. This was their moment to bond over their similarities. I was an outsider here...a misfit. Demir could never talk about these things with me, but he could with Meeran. She was the one who could truly understand his world.