Chapter Eight

Finally, the time had come for Harry to find his wand and the eldest Potter child couldn't have found himself more excited

Finally, the time had come for Harry to find his wand and the eldest Potter child couldn't have found himself more excited. If nothing else happened for the rest of his birthday, he would have been more than satisfied with just being able to get his wand for Ollivander's. Since the announcement that he would be getting it on his birthday, Harry had drilled both of his parents with loads of questions pertaining to wandlore.

He wondered what the significance was between different wand woods and cores, why they worked differently and how exactly did a wand know who its master was? Of course, his parents only delivered minimal answers, telling him that he would be in direct contact with the wandmaker himself, he could ask all the questions he wanted when he met up with Garrick Ollivander.

However, as Harry walked ahead of his family, he honestly didn't care about the history of the wand anymore, he just wanted to have one in his hand. He had been told that when he was fitted with the perfect wand for him, something magical would take place that would let him know of the match. Harry wanted to know what it would involve but his father claimed it was different for everyone.

Either way, Harry believed he was more than ready.

The outside of the wand shop wasn't in the best shape, compared to some of the other shops in Diagon Alley. It appeared weathered and shabby, almost difficult to make out the lettering of "Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands Since 382 b.c."

"Mummy," Ilaria tugged on Renata's shirt, " how long ago was 382 b.c.?"

"Oh, a very long time ago," Renata said, " hundreds of years ago."

"Wow," she exclaimed in awe as the entire family entered, ringing the small bell overhead, " Mr Ollivander is ancient!"

"I assure you I'm not that old."

The Potter children looked over to see Garrick Ollivander setting a wand inside of a box before placing it away. He wore a kind smile on his face, despite Ilaria's comment of him being hundreds of years old. Although it would be hard to convince the younger ones that he wasn't that old, considering his spindly body paired with his greying hair didn't make him look any younger.

"Then how old are you?" Ilaria questioned him, placing her hands on her hips. However, she was quickly scolded by Renata as she was reminded that it wasn't polite to question an adult's age. But Ollivander was a good sport about it, finding it all in good humour as he prompted Ilaria to guess his age.

Meanwhile, Harry looked around the wand shop, taking in what appeared to be thousands of narrow boxes stacked on shelves that started from the floor to the ceiling. Somewhere, amongst all the boxes, was the wand that was waiting for him.

Clearing his throat, Harry brought the guessing game to an end after Ilaria estimated that Garrick was at least two hundred years old. All eyes turned on him in a matter of seconds, leaving Harry's face to flush a bright red.