Season 1 - Drunken Words

That night, I sat at the kitchen table, picking at the hamburger my mom had made. Dustin was eating at Mike's tonight, trying to carry out their plan, and had been extra pissed off when I told him I wasn't going.

"Why not!?" He asked, his voice loud from where he stood at my door frame.

"There's this assembly at eight in support of Will," I told him, sitting on my bed, stroking my cat, Mews. He purred on my stomach as I scratched behind his ear.

"So? You'd be supporting Will by coming with us!" Dustin objected. I felt bad lying to my brother, especially considering I was going to a party rather than helping the party.

"Yeah," I said, trying to think of a good lie. "But Jonathan's gonna be there, and he really needs a friend right now."

Dustin huffed. "Fine. But it's your fault if I disappear in the woods, too!"

"Dustin," I hissed as he stomped down the hall to his room, slamming the door. I rolled my eyes and looked down at the orange tabby. "You'd think with all his slamming doors he'd at least be able to close mine."

I now looked up at my mom and sipped my Coke.

"So, there's this assembly at school," I said, looking back down to my food.

"Oh, yeah?" Mom asked. "About what?"

"Will," I answered, peering up at her through my eyelashes, knowing she would let me go.

"That sounds like an amazing ceremony, Honey," Mom said. "Are you going?"

"Mhm," I answered, taking a bite.

"What time?"

"Eight."

"Until?"

"I'm not sure," I said, thinking about how long Steve's thing would go for. "I might hang out with Jon after. Y'know, take his mind off things."

"Just make sure you're back by curfew, okay?"

I smiled up at her before excusing myself from the table and heading to my room. I carefully closed the door before going to my pink landline and dialing Nancy's number.

When she answered, I plopped down into my desk chair.

"Are you going?" I asked Nancy.

"Yeah, I almost had to take the bothers with me," Nancy responded. I assumed that she was in her room, as well, or else she'd be talking in code. "Speaking of which, I don't understand how you babysit them so much. They're so annoying."

"Oh, hush," I said, spinning around in the chair, the phone wire getting tangled around me. "They're not that bad."

"Whatever," Nancy said. "So, what should I wear?"
~~~
When I pulled into the driveway, Barb's car wasn't there. She was driving Nancy over, and I'd assumed they'd get there before I did.

"Shit," I said, debating on just going home before I got out of the car and walked up to the front door. There was loud music blasting from inside, and I briefly wondered if we would get a noise complaint from the neighbors when a voice called from behind me.

"(Y/n)!"

I turned to see Nancy and Barb coming up the drive. I furrowed my eyes at them.

"Where did you park?" I asked, looking around for their car.

"Three blocks away," Barb said with a smirk.

"I didn't want anyone to see," Nancy said guiltily, eyes spotting my car. She blushed and walked up to the door, ringing the bell. Barb bounced in her place, staring up at the door nervously.